HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

The central air thermostat in the House is showing

Customer Question
Hello, the central air thermostat...
Hello, the central air thermostat in the House is showing that the air-conditioning is on, but the outside unit is not running or kicking on?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: HVAC
7/1/2015
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 3 years ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Is indoor unit running? And do you have a meter for troubleshooting?
On the furnace the fan is set on-and it is running. But the outside unit is not running, and I do not have a meter
PUT thermostat to COOL and Fan Auto and tell me if fan still runs inside.
Yes the fans still runs on auto setting
OK now we are limited to what we can check without a meter.You can pick up an inexpensive one if you would like at Walmart. Lets check some visual things first. Look in your drain pipe coming from the evaporator and see if there is a float switch with 2 wires connected. If so, lift the switch out of the drain pipe and see if outdoor unit comes on.We will go from here.
OK I will give it a try
Standing by
I located the drain pipe that comes out from the evaporator and did not see a float switch with two wires? The bottom drainpipe did have some standing water in it and I blew it out which was somewhat moldy. The outside unit still is not on. The unit is a Bryant furnace that was installed in 2001-not sure if that helps
OK can you open the outdoor unit and look at a couple of things?
1. See if capacitor looks swollen or puffy:
http://i.imgur.com/xwlfLe8.png
2, See if plunger on contators id pulled in?
http://i.imgur.com/A3u2gLb.png
got it ..i will go look
I will stand by
Hello, I will pick this back up in the morning and take a look at the unit outside-how do I resume communication tomorrow?-Thank you
JUst sign in and come back to question when ready.
Thanks
Look forward to solving this with you
Absolutely, long day and talk tomorrow
Sounds good