HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My Rheem Classic Super Quiet 80 is giving me problems. The…

Customer Question
My Rheem Classic Super Quiet...
My Rheem Classic Super Quiet 80 is giving me problems. The contactor (outdoor relay) is clicking on and off rapidly. The air conditioning seems to work during high demand. The problem seems to happen when the temerature inside the house gets close to the set temperature or when the air is on for a while. When it is in the clicking mode, it clicks even when the outdoor fuses are pulled and no power to the outdoor unit.
The ari conditioning tech changed the control board, the wifi thermostat to a manual one, and now the contactor. The problem is still there.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
7/1/2015
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 2 years ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
What is the voltage value at the contactor when this occurs?
The AS tech said the voltages are normal, but he used an AC meter rather than an o-scope to see any spikes. This was the reason he decided to change the Control Board.
Serviz Tech
is there a water safety switch on a drain or pan in series with the low voltage
Outside or inside the house? The tech is not here now, but I could check but I need a hint of where to look
the issue is strictly in the 24v circuit. from the time it leaves terminal R in thermostat to the time it gets to contactor.
If you find circuit board in furnace and the terminal R with a red thermostst wire...then follow that red wire...does it go straight to thermostat or to a switch in a drain pipe or pump?
yes it goes to the switch in the PVC like you say and then up into the attic...somewhere
That water switch in the drain is a very common cause of the chattering.
If the drain is slow it pulses the switch..
Do you mind a test?
I'm ready
Now first...how often is the unit chattering?...if we do a test will we know fairly soon or is this just an occasional thing?
Ill check right now
standing by
i put it back together and started it . it takes a few minutes. is the test bypassing the switch?
correct....usually this happens when the unit has run a long cycle....the condensate is running more and a slow drain throttles the switch...you can also take a shop vacuum to the drain and purge the line.
Bypassing it generally tells us pretty quick
How do I use the vacuum? suck out the water from the overflow?
sorry, I'm unfamiliar
it is still clicking
it was off for about 1/2 hour so the drain must be really slow or the switch is bad
thank you nest is in the outdoor unit...the 2 wires go outside and attach to 2 wires at outdoor unit...then one of those 2 wires goes through low pressure, high pressure and maybe a delay board...what is make model of outdoor unit?
ill go look
ok
13AJA48A01
I PULLED THE FUSES AND IT IS STILL CLICKING
I forgot the brand name, something King
wow you got everything...inside the outdoor unit...where the 2 wires attach,,,one is yellow and one is brown...do you see these?
yes they are on the outside of the contactor
correct....but before they go to contactor...the yellow makes some first.
your brown and yellow.....where they wire nut to the wires from house...do you see that junction point?
on each side of the contactor
correct....but before they go to contactor...the yellow makes some stops first.
the wire from the house are insulated and goes into a grommet hole, not sure which panel i need to take off to see where they go. The yellow and brown come from a different hole
correct...it is the yellow and brown we are talking about...if you can post pics I can direct you quickly
i found the right angle bracket to take off. they are tied directly to the yell and brown, the wire nuts seem ok.
what we want to do is remove the wire nut from the yellow.....and take the wire from the house and hold it directly to the terminal the yellow is on at the contactor,
This will bypass 2 pressure controls and a delay timer.
ok
this will deduce quickly which way the issue is
i'm waiting for the clicking problem. It sure looks like the red wire is going directly to the yelloiw. Same for the brown. All I'm doimng is makeing the yellow wire shorter, there are no other connections to bypass. Maybe I don't understand.
your wires go direct to contactor?....not through any switches before the contactor?
The diagram shows a couple pressure switches and a time delay relay and then contactor
There are other wires (besides the heavy gauge wire) on the contactor coming from the outdoor unit.
at least four wires on a push on terminal that goes to the contactor bottom
you see there is 220v (which you have turned off)...the 24 comes from thermostat and closes the contactor...this allows 24v to cross.
That is why it chatters even when power off outside is because that 24v comes from indoors.
If the unit still chatters with the bypass direct to contactor then you your last culprit is transformer in the furnace that generates the 24v.
i'll check the 24VAC when it starts to dhatter, its not doing it now. I think the transformer is mounted above the control board.
All i have is a VOM, but he tarnsformer can't be too expensive.
transformer is very affordable.
That will be the last item that can cause this...If you need anything else just return to this thread
Billy
Thanks, ***** ***** i understand the system now. We think its an electrical problem and I can work that out. Thanks again.
you are very welcome.
just rate service and I will move from active list
Billy
BillyHvac
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech