HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

On my honeywell thermostat, the cool on is blinking. what should

Customer Question
i do?...
on my honeywell thermostat, the cool on is blinking. what should i do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
7/1/2015
HVAC Technician: Tim H., HVAC Professional replied 2 years ago
Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.How long has this been flashing?
it has been flashing just a couple of hours
OK, you might want to try taking the thermostat off the wall, taking the batteries out (if applicable), and letting it sit for about 20 minutes. This may reset it.
ok
it doesn't have anything to do with the capacitor yet the fan works
it is an old Aero quiet systems serial number 2796e20811,
prod 594Dnx030000abaa, modle # ***** I.D. 67
No, the thermostat blinking would have nothing to do with that.
i never had the unit serviced, and i bought the house in 2005
yet i bought a new furnance last year
Well, I would try what I suggested with the thermostat first. Normally a thermostat will blink 3-5 minutes when it first kicks on.
well i tryed that and now the fan will not kick back on
Did you turn the power off first? When you put thermostat vback on the wall, be sure it is firmly seated on the back part (called the subbase).
i did and the thermostat turned on before i turned the power back on in the fuse box
You may have a bad thermostat. I assume you have the fan switch in "auto"instead of "on"? Is the thermostat still flashing "cool"?
no i have the fan on "on and not auto
In the on position, fan should run. If nothing is happening, check the board on the furnace. You may have blown the fuse.
the fan is working just fine just no cold air is coming through the vents
i feel like it could be a refrigerant cooling issue, but i sure hope it is not a motor issue
Well, remember, you originally were concerned because thermostat was flashing cool. Normal thermostats may flash cool for 3-5 min before starting outdoor unit. This is a timer and a safety feature. Now if outdoor unit is running and it's still not cooling, then that is a whole different issue. So I guess I need a lot more information here. If you set it to cooling, does outdoor unit (eventually) come on? Is air blowing through the vents? If outdoor unit is running, check the suction copper line (covered with black foam). It should be cold to the touch and if unit has ran a while, sweating. Also, see if you can get me make and model of thermostat.
Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer