HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My a/c unit isn't cooling. Inside the fan is working but…

Customer Question
Hi, my a/c unit isn't...
Hi, my a/c unit isn't cooling. Inside the fan is working but not blowing out cold air. Outside the compressor and fan are not working. I've checked the contactor and it's working and the capacitor looks OK. What else could it be?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/29/2015
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 3 years ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.Troubleshooting often requires meters and test equipment.Do you have a multi meter for testing voltage? If not you can get an inexpensive one at Walmart for about 15 bucks, if you have or would like to obtain a meter to troubleshoot , I will be happy to guide you.Without a meter , there are a limited number of things we can check if you are able to do a visual inspection and can do some hands on troubleshooting.Please let me know and we can go from here.
I have a multi-meter
OK. First step is to locate the contactors in the outdoor unit. Then we want to see if we have 24 volts ac to the contactor coil .Next 230v to the contactor and then 230v out of contactor. See below:
http://i.imgur.com/8UHOZPo.png
sorry Tim, this isn't going to work. My PC is on one side of the house and the A/C on the other. I think I'll just call an HVAC engineer...thanks.
Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings now. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.
Leaving a poor service rating will not automatically refund your money,but reflects poorly on your expert. You have to request a refund if not satisfied with the information provided being accurate.
So if I give you a rating will it cost me. We haven't done anything?
You have already paid when you asked the question.If you rate, the question is considered closed.If you do not rate, your money just sits there until you rate.If unsatisfied with my answer and have decided you no longer want help or to continue you may request a refund.You should see a drop down list to select refund.