Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

Brian, follow up to my first question.I have a Goodman

Customer Question

Hi Brian, follow up to my first question.I have a Goodman CLJ36-1A. It is about 2 years old. I am in Las Vegas with highs about 110 right now. The inside fan runs but there is no cool air. Outside, the fan is not coming on at all in the daytime. After
dark it does start blowing cool air to the inside vents. I have not yet checked to see if the outside unit fan turns on.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 2 years ago.
The fact that the outdoor fan doesn't come on when you are expecting cooling (thermostat calling for cool) could be caused by many different things. Especially if the compressor in the outdoor unit isn't coming on either. It could be lack of line voltage power to the outdoor unit (again that could be for quite a few reasons also), it could also be the low voltage signal from the thermostat is not making it out to the outdoor unit (many things could cause this too), it could be something in the unit has failed: contactor; fan motor; unit out or low on refrigerant and pressure switch safety keeping it off. The list of things that can cause this is a loooong one! With a little more info and you with a volt meter checking voltages here and there we can narrow that list down and probably find the problem. The first thing to do is see if there is line voltage available at the unit. The second is to see if there is a low voltage signal to the outdoor unit when the thermostat is in cool and calling for cooling. Let me know how you want to proceed. I can offer extended coaching on diagnosis with an Additional Services Offer if you'd like. That runs an additional $48 and I will help you diagnose with your tools and muti-meter, exactly what the problem is. Let me know if you're interested in that. Thanks, Brian