HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My air-conditioner is a 2 year old Carrier. We live in a new…

Customer Question
My air-conditioner is a 2...
My air-conditioner is a 2 year old Carrier. We live in a new house, the A/C seems to run practically of the time, even when the setting is set 75 Degrees and the current temp is 71 degrees and the humidity is 65%. What might be wrong? do you think the thermostat "Honeywell" is bad ???or is it being driven by the humidity???
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/26/2015
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 2 years ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Hello, we need to do some measurements. 1. When the AC unit outside is running for a long time, tell me if the largest copper tube attached is cool, sweating or frosty. 2. It attaches to the large black roundish compressor inside, gain access to that and tell me if it is sweating or not or if it is warm. 3. Next using the same stick type thermometer tell me the temperature of the air coming out the cold air vents, use that same thermometer to tell me the temperature of the air at the return air grill or at the center of a large downstairs room I need all 3 pieces of information, take your time, we can go from there.... so far I think the system is over charged with refrigerant. .

So you want me access the compressor and see if it warm or sweating or are you talking about the suction pipe connection inside the condenser?

The suction pipe is sweating and pretty cold.

Do I need to get into the condenser? for question 32?

At the unit n the attic the return air temp is 69 the distribution plenum is 57 degrees.

Thanks, the condenser sits outside the house the suction line connects to it, if the big black roundish compressor is sweating the system is over charged or the air filter inside the house is dirty, or the cooling coil is dirty.. turn the power off first before accessing the compressor inside the unit (the unit that sits outside)

The temperature readings I am referring to are taken *inside the house, at the cold air vents and in the room.

http://screencast.com/t/bEWkCXa0

.

All this done at your own risk, I have no way of assessing your skills sets and safety capabilities from here... you should be OK though with the power off to the unit.

.

.
Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer