airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a thermostat and a baseboard heater that I need to

Customer Question

I have a thermostat and a baseboard heater that I need to connect
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.Is the heater 120 volts or 240 volts? What is model on heater?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Stelpro 360, 300 Watts 19&7/8 inch length..it doesn't say what the voltage is anywhere.
I am trying to find a manual on the unit. It should have a label somewhere showing model, amps and voltage. Can you attach a photo?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
300/225 Watts, 240/208 volts, model B302
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello...you there?
Excellent since it is 249 volt we will simply connect white from breaker to L1 and black from breaker to L2,White (or red)and black from heater will go to T1 and T2
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok... I'm wiring the whole system. I have a 20 amp two pole cb that I'm routing to the room... the red wire with the red & white wires in it. I'll connect it as you said to the leads in the heater. What about the the thermostat? I have 14 - 2 wire in there also.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I was going to connect the 20 amp breaker to the heater and I have a single pole 15 amp breaker for the thermostat and a water pump also off that outlet. How do I connect the thermostat to the heater?
Can you attach photos?
What you want to do is run the wire from the breaker diretly to the L1 and L2 terminals on the thermostat. Then from T1 and T2 to the heater
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The thermostat has black wires coming from the L1and T1 terminals. On the L2 and T2 sides there are no electrical terminals.
http://i.imgur.com/L1T09GN.png
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Huh? Hello... you there?
Can you upload a photo?
If your thermostat only has one set of terminals, L1 and T1, you will simply break one leg of the hot wire from thermostat and heater. The other hot leg from breaker will go directly to the other heater wire .
See link below:
http://i.imgur.com/TKHnlqk.png
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do you mean to simply connect the two terminal wires on the thermostat to the two wires coming from the 120 vac outlet through the 15amp breaker?
No. One leg from breaker will go to L1. The other leg of breaker will go directly to heater. Other wire from heater will go to T1. See the diagram I sent. Here it is again.http://i.imgur.com/TKHnlqk.png
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is this all from the red heater wire I have going to the heater from the 220 vac cb?...I don't need a separate 120 vac wire for the thermostat ? That's fine if that's the way it's supposed to be... I thought the thermostat was a 120 vac component.
The thermostat is breaking one 120 volt power wire between the breaker and the heater.
It is the same as a light switch basically. One wire from your breaker goes straight to the heater. The other wire from breaker goes through the thermostat and then to the heater.
In otherwords we are breaking the power leg when thermostat is off and closing the circuit when thermostat is on
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok...I guess I had a brain fart there....makes sense that the heater & thermostat are on the same 220 circuit. Thanks.
Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings now. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.