Russell H., Service Tech
Experience:  8+ years of professional experience
13568747

I can't get my Trane XL624 thermostat ZWave to talk to my 2GIG

Customer Question

I can't get my Trane XL624 thermostat ZWave to talk to my 2GIG alarm control panel. My alarm control panel isn't recognizing my Trane XL624 thermostat.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I purchased a Trane XL624 thermostat and had it installed which has ZWave technology to talk to my 2GIG Alarm Panel which is with Alarm.com My alarm control panel communicates with Wave devices so I can control them wirelessly through my cell phone or alarm panel. My Trane XL624 Thermostat which says has ZWave technology isn't communicating to my 2GIG alarm panel at all. Please help me with this to get this resolved. Thank you.
Expert:  MasterFixIt replied 2 years ago.
Hi Im sorry to hear that.How old is your Trane Tstat?Did it work at all with this system prior?
Expert:  Russell H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.
I would like to just ask about one possible source of the failure to communicate, wirelessly, between the Trane thermostat and the 2GIG Alarm Panel.
- Does anything else use the ZWave wireless capability successfully, with your 2GIG panel?
- If no other device verifies the 2GIG's ZWave capability, then check whether (perhaps, being in an underground location or installed on a low level of the building) there is a problem with the position of the 2GIG relative to the Trane thermostat. Wireless 'stations' that are low down in a building or in the basement, have a poor position with regard to communicating with higher levels of the building... a wireless router is always best mounted in as high a floor or position as possible.
- And also: Check whether any machines, ones with electric motors particularly, are nearby to the 2GIG alarm panel. They could produce a lot of radio noise, that would obscure and mask the wireless signal to/from the Trane thermostat. If you can, turn them all Off, then try connecting again from scratch.
(How far away is the Trane thermostat from the 2GIG? is it already mounted in place, or can you move it closer to the 2GIG, at least for testing? if so, try it that way, as well as with all electric devices anywhere nearby turned Off.)