HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

My outdoor unit stopped working. Not sure why

Customer Question
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/24/2015
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.Troubleshooting often requires meters and test equipment.Do you have a multi meter for testing voltage? If not you can get an inexpensive one at Walmart for about 15 bucks, if you have or would like to obtain a meter to troubleshoot , I will be happy to guide you.Without a meter , there are a limited number of things we can check if you are able to do a visual inspection and can do some hands on troubleshooting.Please let me know and we can go from here.
I don't have a meter at the moment. I'm going to go get one right now
Excellent. If you can get a meter that reads ac voltage and capacitance. We will go from here.
One thing I did do is replace the batteries in my thermostat and now it tries to turn on but stops
To verify if thermostat is issue, remove R and Y and G wires and connect them together to see if compressor and fan will run.
Fan runs but compressor acts like it's going to then stops
OUtdoor fan keeps running?
No just the inside one. The compressor acts like it's going to start then shuts off completely
THere may be a time delay in the outdoor unit.If so lets give it 5 minutes after turning to cool and see if outdoor will come back on.
I just got the multimeter.
Give me complete model on outdoor so I can pull a wiring diagram. First step will be to turn to COOL then locate control wires where they first enter the outdoor unit and check for 24 volts ac between C and Y wires.
Xl14i trane. Do you need more than that?
Yes that is a series. The model will be on a label on side. Something lie TWR036AAB or 2TTW024
What color are the c and y and where exactly on the unit would they be. Sorry not good with electrical
OK now will have to figure out what color tech used as field wires, Do you have a control board where wires connect from thermostat marked R,Y,C.O etc?
Model no 4TTX4024B1000AA
Where would that be located?
Tell me how many control wires you have.It looks like this is a straight cool so you may only have 2 control wires.If so we want to see if we have 24 volts ac between these to wires when thromostat is clling for COOL
Are you talking about the neg and positive charges
I believe you only have a yellow and a blue control wire in unit.Look at the wires coming fom thermostat and tell me how many there are.If you can upload a photo showing your low voltage wiring, contactors and one of the wiring diagram on panel would be very helpful.
airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician