HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Trane 2TWR3024-sf-1split heat/air heat pumpnew outside

Customer Question
Trane 2TWR3024-sf-1 split heat/air heat pump new...
Trane 2TWR3024-sf-1
split heat/air heat pump
new outside unit 3 years ago
was working well until yesterday
turned off last night as thought may have overheated
no outside influences
now outside unit hums / seems to pulse
inside return line (at furnace/blower) gets hotter -longer left on -
no fan motion outside unit
pulled power
pulled top fan - spins freely - (did not check with meter )
opened side service panel -
no visible blown caps
no apparent burn arching on wires
some trash/vine -cleaned -no apparent damage
small circuit board - marked L.. or something - led blinking green -every second on so -
continuous on/off -no pulsing pattern detected
inside is old GE furnace with add-on heat pump control panel
one thing outside unit - some sort of adjustable control - very old and dirty - wired
into outside unit for some type temp control
inside thermostat seems to be working ok
can cut off A/c and set fan from auto to on - to get some (warm) circulation in house
Any ideas - was hoping blown cap on motor,,,
thank you
john
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/24/2015
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.Could still be a bad cap even if not swollen. Do you have a meter to test capacitance? If not do you have an appliance parts store nearby? They will usually check it for free if you take it in. WE will go from here.Also let me know if you have a volt meter for troubleshooting if we need it? If not you can grab an inexpensive one at Walmart for about 15 bucks.
I have a volt meter -small pocket led/ / not sure how to discharge these caps ..to ground?.. what wire colors to where -
I know to be very careful - power master bus has been pulled - but why is led blinking green still - does this indicate charged caps
I would have to have a manual on the unit or you can look and see if there is a label with a legend to tell us what the lights indicate.
But they have nothing to do with capacitor. To discharge, simply take an insulated screwdriver and short across the terminals.
Now the meter will have to have a uF setting to check micrifarads
I have received notification that you would like to continue through a phone conversation. If so please reply to the additional service offer accepting the additional service fees
airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician