HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have two identical Carrier 22kw R/C split system units. Both…

Customer Question
I have two identical Carrier...
I have two identical Carrier 22kw R/C split system units. Both have compressor and fan units mounted outside on the same wall and condensor units under floor. Ducting is via floor vents. One unit is performing well on both heat and cool and the other ok on cool but only just warm on heat. Thermo controls inside are both set the same except the poor performing unit switches itself to "Eheat" then turns off. Any clues?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/23/2015
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 3 years ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Hello,It is likely that system not cooling well is over charged with refrigerant, that will keep it from cooling well, and will cause it to trip its high pressure safety cut out in heat mode and switch to emergency heat. If I am correct in that assumption, the largest copper tube connected to the unit outside that is not working well will be sweating, and the compressor inside the unit will be sweating. Let me know what you find. Next use the same thermometer poked into a cold air vent to measure the difference between the cold air coming out of the vent, and the room air... we are looking for at least a 15F differential. Let me know what you find, we can go from there..
Will check tonight - unit is at home. Both units are 10 years old and are running on original gas charge from installation. Cooling function on both is good, its just the heating function on one unit which is switching to Eheat. By the way unit specs show Summer ambient 36oC Indoor control 24oC-50% RH and Winter ambient 4.0oC Indoor control 20oC
Thanks, ***** ***** be here until 7pm west coast time, If I miss you tonight I will pick up your response first thing in the morning.