HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Moving my thermostat to a wall with no direct sunlight. I…

Customer Question
Moving my thermostat to a...
Moving my thermostat to a wall with no direct sunlight. I turned off the breaker to the upstairs AC at the outside box located next to the outside unit. Is there another breaker or power source I need to turn off?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/22/2015
HVAC Technician: Stingray, HVAC Professional replied 3 years ago
Stingray
Stingray, HVAC Professional
My name is ***** ***** I will do my best to help you get the information you need. I am not on site and rely solely on your information.what type of system do you have? a Split system or self contained? If you have an indoor furnace or airhandler then you have a split system and should disconnect the power to it as well, as this is where the Thermostat draws power.If it is all self contained the the outside power is all you need to worry about.
I have a split system. But I couldn't find the power to the upstairs airhandler. Might it be behind a panel on the unit?
Sometimes there is a disconnect behind the blower door, but there is definitely a circuit breaker or multiple breakers in the main distribution panel. I would look there before i took doors off
The downstairs air handler unit has an obvious circuit breaker switch but I cannot find the one for the upstairs unit. I'll keep looking.
It is entirely possible that there is a secondary distribution panel upstairs or elsewhere in the house. but there definitely is a set of breakers dedicated for the Air handler. Good Luck, I have to go coach a baseball game, I will check on here when it is finished.
Is there way to test the thermostat wires directly to see if they are "off"?
easiest would be to set the thermostat fan switch to on then turn the breakers off one by one until it shuts off. alternatively you can test R-C for 24VAC
Just checking in, hadn't heard anything for a bit