Jason Whatley
Jason Whatley, HVAC Technician
Experience:  HVAC/R Supervisor at DOJ
83376504

Ok well here is my problem my out side unit fan will kick on

Customer Question

Ok well here is my problem my out side unit fan will kick on but after a few minutes 3/5 the fan kicks off and will not turn back on so I checked the capacitor it was bad replaced it but still have the same problem I was told to check the fan relay but have no idea where it is located any suggestions
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Jason Whatley replied 2 years ago.
Hi my name is ***** ***** I'm here to help you out. When you replaced the capacitor, was it the same mfd and voltage as the previous capacitor? Also, did you check the amp draw of the motor with a clamp on amp meter? Typically, a failing fan motor that is pulling higher amperage than listed on the nameplate of the motor would run a few minutes before overheating and shutting down (an internal overload will trip when becoming too hot and shut the motor down to prevent melting/fire issues). This is the first thing we should check out here.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes the new capacitor read different. And I checked to see if the fan was pulling voltage and it was but I was unable to find a nameplate as the outside of the motor was completely rusted
I'm sorry, I meant was the new capacitor rating the same as the old one - did the data plate match (i.e. 5mfd/370vac) If the motor is getting voltage and the new capacitor is matched to the motor, it's a safe bet that it's overamping. Of course we won't be able to tell what the amp draw should be if we can't find the data plate information. What you're describing is textbook motor failure though via overamping.
I've been looking everywhere for the data on your motor to no avail... Can you read the data plate on the unit itself? It should reference the motor and Amperage ratings there. Hopefully that can help us pin down the amp draw issue.