HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Our inside coils on our goodman pc030-1b are freezing up. Resulting…

Customer Question
Our inside coils on our...
Our inside coils on our goodman pc030-1b are freezing up. Resulting in low air flow. The blower motor is working, but the insulated inside the blower housing is swamped. Could this be condensate pan overflow? I tried sucking out the drain line already
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/18/2015
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 3 years ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Welcome to 2 hours help.

Up to 48 hours trouble shooting and coaching on repairs $38 additional if you approve it at that time.

Tell me about how old the system is please.
The coils freeze up for any of the following reasons:
1. Dirty air filter
2. Air vents shut off or blocked with carpeting etc.
3. Running the AC at night, set below 70F, but only when it is cool at night.
4. slightly low on refrigerant.
5. Evaporator coil and blower fan blades clogged with dirt.
or any combination of those. It is not a condensate pad or drain issue.
However if there is an inch or two ice build up on the coil, as it melts most of that water will miss the drain pan.
you must melt *all* of the ice before starting the system on cooling again, or the ice will return... do that by setting the system to OFF and Fan switch to ON. wait 3 to 5 hours.
When you start the unit again, tell me if the largest copper tube attached to the outside unit runs cool or not when the house is below 73F inside and the system has been running longer than an hour.
.........
We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions within your agreed on limit at no additional charge.
.