How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask BillyHvac Your Own Question
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Category: HVAC
Satisfied Customers: 22636
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
Type Your HVAC Question Here...
BillyHvac is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am replacing a central heater in my attic with a Goodman

Customer Question

I am replacing a central heater in my attic with a Goodman Model GMVC960804CN.
The received instructions indicate and show how to locate and attach inlet air and outlet venting when the heater is a installed in a home living area.
My question is do I need to provide a new inlet pipe that comes from the outside of the home to supply directly to the new units inlet air opening.
My attic space has already outside air thru normal vents in the side of the home walls that provides air to the attic.
Also I already have a vertical vent that goes upwards to the outside of the roof. This vent will be attached to the exit vent from the new unit
Of course I already have CO monitors and smoke detectors already installed in the home so they will give me a true indication if something is not working properly
when I finish the install and test the unit for proper heating operation.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: HVAC
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do not charge me for the answer service. I can get through the password ***** enter the process.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 2 years ago.
If you have open transfer - the attic is vented...then you do not need to run an intake air pipe.
That is of course on the condition that attic is vented.