Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

So I tried to replace one thermostat with another one. The

Customer Question

So I tried to replace one thermostat with another one. The new one didn't work. In replacing the old one, it doesn't work now either. I've got the wires in the same place (took a picture prior to working). What the heck did I do?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.
Did you shut power off before wiring in the new one?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nope....idiot, I know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I went outside afterward and checked the circuit breaker box. Nothing was tripped.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Are you there?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 2 years ago.
Check on your furnace board for a blown fuse.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Those are little fuses, like those in a car, right?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, correct. They typically have an automotive style fuse:
https://images.search.yahoo.com/images/view;_ylt=AwrB8pjPxoBVrEYAOxMunIlQ;_ylu=X3oDMTIzZHNmcHVkBHNlYwNzcgRzbGsDaW1nBG9pZAM1Yzk4MmNkMzFkMTA2NWNmMzZiMzE2MDZkOWJjNjIwZgRncG9zAzEwBGl0A2Jpbmc-?.origin=&back=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.search.yahoo.com%2Fyhs%2Fsearch%3Fp%3D3%2BAmp%2BAutomotive%2BFuse%26fr%3Dyhs-mozilla-004%26hsimp%3Dyhs-004%26hspart%3Dmozilla%26tab%3Dorganic%26ri%3D10&w=300&h=300&imgurl=i.ebayimg.com%2F00%2Fs%2FNjUwWDY1MA%3D%3D%2F%24%28KGrHqMOKnIE5!D3Hz18BO%281%286WRVQ~~60_35.JPG&rurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fitm%2F3A-32V-Car-Auto-Medium-Blade-ATO-Fuses-3-AMP-x10-%2F130671953026&size=10.6KB&name=...+%26+GPS+%26gt%3B+Car+Audio+%26+Video+Installation+%26gt%3B+%3Cb%3EFuses%3C%2Fb%3E+%26+%3Cb%3EFuse%3C%2Fb%3E+Holders&p=3+Amp+Automotive+Fuse&oid=5c982cd31d1065cf36b31606d9bc620f&fr2=&fr=yhs-mozilla-004&tt=...+%26+GPS+%26gt%3B+Car+Audio+%26+Video+Installation+%26gt%3B+%3Cb%3EFuses%3C%2Fb%3E+%26+%3Cb%3EFuse%3C%2Fb%3E+Holders&b=0&ni=160&no=10&ts=&tab=organic&sigr=12m4l95af&sigb=144j573a4&sigi=12adjqaj2&sigt=12lshtuvo&sign=12lshtuvo&.crumb=YDpBWCvmo64&fr=yhs-mozilla-004&hsimp=yhs-004&hspart=mozilla
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay...can I come back to you later, or is our time over?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 2 years ago.
Yes, post back whenever you can. Keep in mind we come and go on this site and frequently we are also working with other customers, so please be patient.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay. Thanks Tim. See you in a bit.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 2 years ago.
OK
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
One last thing. We have an upstairs and a downstairs unit. The upstairs unit is still working. Would it still be the fuse if the upstairs unit is on and functioning fine, while the downstairs unit has nothing to read on the thermostat? Wouldn't they both go out?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 2 years ago.
If you have a zone system, then you may have blown something in the zone panel for that zone.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's two separate units altogether. Where should I start? I've got one furnace up in the attic and two AC units in the backyard.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 2 years ago.
If it's a separate system, then yes, other system would still work.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Separate question. There is a pipe up near the roof that is now dripping water. Is that an overflow pipe for the AC that is supposed to drip? Could I have done something related that would trigger this too?
Expert:  Tim H. replied 2 years ago.
If you have a furnace vented with PVC for the heat side, it's possible the heat may have been running at the same time. I doubt this has anything to do with the AC unless it is a drain for an attic mounted furnace.