HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Having an a/c issue. System has outdoor condenser unit and…

Customer Question
Having an a/c issue. System...
Having an a/c issue. System has outdoor condenser unit and uses a rheem rgdj-05eauer furnace blower for air handling. Technician came out and told me that the control board failed due to blower overheating. I purchased a new board and installed. Now the blower starts up and shuts back down after a few seconds, like a system check is failing. Do I need to purchase another blower motor or is there a component not on the board that has failed or what else do you think the issue might be?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/16/2015
HVAC Technician: Tim H., HVAC Professional replied 2 years ago
Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.
Is there 120 volts to the blower motor when it shuts down?

Unsure how to confirm. If you are asking me to use multimeter to test voltage on the blower leads I need to know where on the board this is located. All I did was rewire the new board exactly as the old one was and am unfamiliar with the layout.

If you have a voltmeter, set to "volts AC", and go down to the board. Push in the blower door switch. Check from the COOL terminal to any one of the white neutrals and we are looking for a continuous 120 volts while cooling is called for.
Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer