HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I noticed today that my air was set on 73 but it was getting…

Customer Question
I noticed today that my...
I noticed today that my air was set on 73 but it was getting increasingly hot in the house. Thermostat got up to 79 degrees. I checked my air filter and it was pretty dirty. I changed that. Pipes going outside to unit aren't frozen but are cold to touch.(not sure if that's normal). I left unit off for 30 minutes and turned it back on. Temperature on thermostat still hasn't gotten below 79 degrees after about an hour. I have it set on 70. I checked vents and cold air is blowing out. How long should it take to cool back down? or could there be another problem
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/15/2015
HVAC Technician: Tim H., HVAC Professional replied 3 years ago
Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.
You said suction line (larger pipe and covered with black foam) is cold to the touch? Is it "beer can cold" and sweating? If not, the unit is most likely low on charge and will need charge added if outside unit is running and air is blowing up through the vents in the house.
yes its cold and sweating.... is that normal? could it just take awhile to cool down from the air filter which was very very dirty. Though it was changed 2 months ago
the temperature outside is 95 degrees right now.
Check with a thermometer across your indoor coil. Take a reading right by the filter and then another one above the coil in the supply to your house. There should be a 15-20 degree difference in those temperatures.
the place where I replaced my air filter? where is the other one?
Above your furnace sits the indoor coil. I need a reading ABOVE that coil in the supply air going into your house.
I don't have a furnace
Well, air handler, then. What kind of system do you have? I don't think you mentioned that.
oh okay. goodman
Goodman what? Air handler? Do you have the full model number? In any case, whether it's a furnace or air handler, I still need a reading after the coil, in the supply air stream going into your house.