HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Low hum. Capacitor is fine.

Customer Question
Low hum. Capacitor is fine.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/15/2015
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 3 years ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.Do you have a meter to check voltage to motor? If we are getting power, capacitor is good and motor just hums. motor is bad and will have to be replaced.
I do have a meter. What do I turn it to and where do I touch. Do I touch both red and black

1.Give me model on meter

2. Give me model on unit so I can pull a wiring diagram

Commercial electric mas830b
N2a330akc200

Set meter to 600v AC and put one lead to each high voltage fan wire.

http://i.imgur.com/I89DtVM.png

Both positive and negative leads? Where is the fan wire?
They should connect to the load side of your contactors.
Stupid question but will I get shocked by placing both red and black on each fan wire?
No the leads should be insulated.They are designed for check voltage
I checked the yello and black wire. Nothing reading. I tested the wire with my voltage tester and I'm getting nothing showing
Have to step away but will be back shortly. Can you upload a photo of where you are checking?
Everywhere there is a wire or screw. It's not giving me any reading of current. Nothing is tripped on breaker
Can you upload a photo of where you are checking?

If you have a paper clip icon on your page you can attach using that link.Or

You can upload the pictures using the tiny pic site .

Here is a link to the site.

http://tinypic.com/

Click on Browse , select the file from your folder.then click UPLOAD NOW.

They will give you a quote to enter in the box to verify you are a human.Enter the quote and click UPLOAD NOW

You will see your picture on right side of screen.

Then copy the link URL for email & IM

Paste that link here on the site

http://tinypic.com/r/11tmyi8/8
Take a photo from front of conatcotrs and identify fan wires in picture.
In the photo I uploaded, the fan wires are yellow and black. I checked the fuse box since there is no current and it was tripped. I flipped it back and the breaker is loose (very easy to flip) Could this be blown?
If breaker was loose that can cause overheating and tripping. Will compressor and fan fan come on since you reset?
Nope. Nothing. Could the breaker go bad?
Yes, Let's check each side of breaker for power
I'm doing that. Would I still hear that low hum to the unit if there was no current?
The hum you are hearing is most likely from the contactors, You probably have 24 volts to contactor coil.
I'm getting an electrician out. I think this is an issue with my breaker box. It was not getting enough current to my water heater recently.
Thx

Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings now. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost.