HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Hvac unit 4 ton under warranty from York , 2 companies have…

Customer Question
hvac unit 4 ton under...
hvac unit 4 ton under warranty from York , 2 companies have said I need a compressor. I cannot tell whether it is correct or not, the unit was making noise and not cool enough any advise ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/15/2015
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 2 years ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech

If 2 different companies came up with the same diagnosis it most likely correct.

The key is how much are they charging for "extras"

Has any mention been made as to what is your responsibility?

the first quote was $2000 , I don't trust any of the companies in NYC, the unit its is making noise, could the noise be from the compressor housing and not the compressor?

very possible...in order to give an accurate diagnosis I would the operating pressures and temperatures.

So basically it runs (with a noise) but there is no cooling?

the first tech came when the vent reading was in the med ^) degree he said thgere was too much Freon in it and let out some!!! said I need a compressor

the second tech came and said not enough Freon that's why it wasn't cooling and wanted to charge me a great deal, he said the noise was the compressor

its hard when I don't understand how to read the gauges,

the first tech came when the vent reading was in the med 60 degree range he said there was too much Freon in it and he let out some!!! he said I needed a compressor

the second tech came and said not enough Freon was there and that's why it wasn't cooling and wanted to charge me a great deal to put some in, he said the noise was the compressor

Do you have access to gages or the readings they took?

Does the unit run at all?

Is there any temp difference between the freon pipes?
It's mostly warm
The pipes that lead from the condenser , I have no way of knowing what's going on , since the compressor is making noise can we assume that it bad , ?
Not always the case....did it make the noise before you called for service?
Yes a lot
A vibrating sound
Thank you,

well I would probably agree the copressor has lost mechanical operation.

Price will range from $900-$1,200...you should pay just for labor. If it is not a burnout they can use your own freon

ask for a breakdown of charges.
I'm
In a Harlem townhouse in NYC everything is expensive , could the sound be from
Something else ? Or maybe as we mentioned the housing ? Are there bearings involved ?
If you had noise but cooling I could say it was something else....but you have noise and NO cooling...

I am confident you are looking at a compressor...it is jus how much they will charge you

can you guess how a working hvac unit would send a good amount of water down a drain pipe?when no other water is being used

If it is a ac with the condenser outside and blower inside ....draining water from an ac is a good sign as that means it is working...it is dehumidifying while it cools.

If this is a water cooled unit like in a hirise or apartment building then the water is running as part of the cooling process.

BillyHvac
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech