HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Goodman outdoor unit that does not turn on when I…

Customer Question
I have a Goodman outdoor...
I have a Goodman outdoor unit that does not turn on when I set the thermostat, however when i go outside and press in the black button on the outside unit it turns on and gets cold, what could be causing the unit not to come on automatically.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/13/2015
HVAC Technician: HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH replied 3 years ago
HVAC Guru
HVAC Guru, HVAC TECH
That means that the contactor is not getting the 24 volt signal to turn on. There may be a pressure reset on the outside unit that has tripped. Some have a red push button on them or you may have a thermostat/low voltage wiring issue to the outside unit. Go to the wires behind the thermostat and connect the RED/RC wire to the Y/Yellow wire together to see if the unit comes on. If it does you have a thermostat issue. If not check the low voltage board fuse in the furnace, it should be on the board and then check the wiring to the outside unit often it is just a loose or bad connection in one of the wire nuts on the low voltage wires that cause the issue.