Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I am currently opening a fish n chip restaurant and need

Customer Question

Hi, I am currently opening a fish n chip restaurant and need to install a HVAC system, its a empty unit right now at 1800 sq ft, any idea what size unit I need and what costs am I looking at. the landlord was originally putting in a 1 ton 350 sf put has told us we will need to put a unit in since it should be bigger?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 2 years ago.
Welcome!

Systems design summary:

The kitchen cooling needs to be separated from the dinning area HVAC

Depending on the number of people generally in the dinning area, a 5 ton cooling system will be sufficient in most cases depending on the area you are in, more cooling required in south Florida than in Seattle for instance... 3 tons would be the bare minimum, and OK for a moderate and relatively dry climate such as the northern California coast.

Still, a full load calculation must be done. 3 to 5 tons is a close estimate however.

Traffic in and out of the restaurant and large areas of south or west facing glass can easily double the size of AC system required. (roughly one ton for every 100 square feet of sun exposed glass, depending on the latitude and type of glass)

---------------

The kitchen needs an exhaust hood over the fryers. And an evaporative cooler on the roof to put enough air into the kitchen so that the fryer exhaust will not suck all of the conditioned air from the dinning area.

Many areas require grease and odor removal on the fryer exhaust.. that can be expensive.

..........

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge.

.

.