HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

One of the blades on my ac condenser fan had a crack.

Customer Question
Hi. One of the...
Hi. One of the blades on my ac condenser fan had a crack. the crack split the blade and caused the blade to lodge in the protective grill. i only discovered this after the house started to get a little warm. neither the compressor nor fan come on when the system is "ON". Cause/suggestion? BTW i did replace the 40 A fuses
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: HVAC
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from yo. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
6/11/2015
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 3 years ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Welcome!
I am assuming you replaced the fan blade, got the right one that has the same blade curve and rotation as the original (and draws air across the condenser coil)
There are manual high pressure cut out switches on a majority of these systems, especially the older ones, that trip when there is no air flow.
The reset button is generally behind a 3/4" hole in the AC unit cabinet, or it is inside the electrical controls box in the unit itself.
Look for that, tell me how it goes... we can proceed from there as necessary without a time limit unless you rate negatively, that closes the question.
-----
We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge.
see private contact info in the section attached below please.
"contactor
Hello again, that looks like a temperature sensor that with a spring loaded strap on the back for attaching to the outside oil... it seems to be removed from its proper location. It is not the contactor.
If you can take a very well focused close up of the wiring diagram glued to the inside of the electrical service panel, and post it here I can locate the high pressure cut out switch for you.
Use the 'attach files' link at the bottom left of your dialog box to attach the picture.
.
Would you mind calling me...I have a couple of questions I'd rather talk about. I paid for Live service and sent you my phone. Thx
Thanks.
I have not gotten your phone number yet for some reason, see my email in the box **below** this dialog box, and send me an email with your phone number in it.
----------
http://screencast.com/t/dLAWKmgSQS
Press the reset for 1 second, with the power off, tell me if the unit runs when you turn the power back on when set for cooling and down to 60F.
Next clean the outside condenser coil regardless if it looks dirty or not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDtT6hSpV4s
thats a video on how its done, you can buy the foaming cleaner at Home Depot, Lowes or most larger hardware stores.
.