HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

We have a cooling unit that is about 10 years old.

Customer Question
Hello We have a cooling unit...
Hello
We have a cooling unit that is about 10 years old. The capacitor is bad and tech says he will check for coolant. This is on the larger unit.
What is the maximum amount of coolant for EACH of these units? We have 2 units and I have 2 model numbers, but don't know from paperwork which one is the LARGER unit:
FC4CNF024 or 350MAV036080.
Also, they asked us on the phone if we wanted a Protection Package. Is something like a capacitor something that can be checked 1-2 times per year or is it a disposable part that doesn't require maintenance, so to speak. Just curious.
I'm a retired secretary so I don't know much about these things. Hope you can help.
Thank You!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/9/2015
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.I have a couple of questions. When you say you have 2 units,do you mean 2 indoor and 2 outdoor or just one inside and one outside. The numbers you provided are for 2 indoor units. One electric air handler and one gas furnace. Can you provide model numbers for outdoor units? That will determine refrigerant capacities.
Well, I don't know where to find the model # ***** the unit. My husband is not here right now. We have a cooling unit for downstairs and upstairs. Larger one is for downstairs and it has a capacitor problem. As for the coolants, I would like to know while I am asking what the capacity is for each unit, but don't know where to find model numbers. Can you help?
The model numbers are for a 2 ton air handler upstairs and a 3 ton gas furnace downstairs.The model numbers will be on labels attached to the outside of each unit.On that label it will also list the factory charge of refrigerant (or I can look it up for you).
As for your question about the protection package,I am not a fan, Things such as capacitors can go out any time just as a light bulb, so it may be fine the day they service unit and go out the next day.
Could this be the model number : 597CN036-G? How much refrigerant can it hold?
Im looking at an old service work order from 2012. A different service company has this model number listed but unable to discern what work memo means. Says replaced run capacitor on downstairs system. I guess from this the upstairs unit is a heat pump. Don't know if this makes any sense - Sorry!
Yes, That is it. Factory charge is 6.25lbs. This includes enough refrigerant for indoor coil, outdoor unit and 15 ft if tubing in between. Add ,6 oz for every foot over 15 between indoor and outdoor unit.
THe most common outdoor used with the FC4CNF024 is the 38BYGo24, which also holds 6.25lbs
Excellent! the Man is back now, the relay is bad? Does that make sense? #'s on relay: HN51C024 3100-15Q228Ok, just to make sure - when you say every foot over 15 to the indoor unit, that probably means that is what is in the garage?
Yes that is a contactor relay.Common to need replacing as points open and close every time unit cycles on and off.
Distance between unit means the footage from the indoor unit to the outdoor unit. For example it there were 30 feet between the units, we would needd to add 9 0unces (.6 x the additional 15 feet).
OK - Sorry, things moving quickly at this end. The builder put our unit on the opposite side of the house from the garage. Not sure how far tubing is if it is under house? But pls confirm, capacity is 6.25? What if the units are 50 feet apart?Thank you so much for your assistance. Man is about ready to talk to me-
2 questions and then I will let you go: What is the charge? It is a one time charge? And, will a copy of this chat be forwarded to my email? ***@******.***Thank You!!
THis is a one time charge. You can copy and print the dialogue .Also you can come back to question anytime to re read our comments.Thanks for letting me work with you.If my answer has been polite, professional,and thorough, please click one of the ratings now. If you still need help let me know!.Expert is not paid for assisting you until you rate answer.Feel free to follow up for 30 days at no additional cost. Bonus always appreciated if you feel justified.
airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician