HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a lennox cbx32mv and the compressor won't kick on.

Customer Question
Only the air handler is...
I have a lennox cbx32mv and the compressor won't kick on. Only the air handler is running.
Need some ideas on a fix
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/9/2015
HVAC Technician: Tim H., HVAC Professional replied 3 years ago
Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.
Have you checked for blown fuses in the disconnect (the box outside that supplies power to outside unit)?
Yes, no blown fuses. I have also checked the circuit on the unit itself.
The unit was installed in 2010
Are you getting 24 volts at the contactor coil inside the outdoor unit when cooling is called for?
No clue. How would I check?
You'd need a voltmeter. If you have one, I can run you through some instructions.
I don't. Any other quick thoughts about what it could be? It did this once last summer and when I had a guy come out, it worked fine. Seems like some intermittment problem. I got the compressor to come on for 5 minutes or so earlier, but now, nothing.
What is the thermostat showing? Cooling on? Thermostat set below room temp?
Yes, thermostat is showing 79 degrees, but is set at 74. Air is circulating, but not cool.
And outside unit is not running? If not turn it off, have someone go outside near the unit, then turn back on and wait 5 minutes or so. You should hear a distinct click at outside unit if thermostat is sending a signal to it.
ok. One sec
No need to post back in between.
no click
Take and turn furnace power off. Take the thermostat off the wall, front part loose from the back and exposing the thermostat wires. Find the red wire on R, yellow or blue wire on Y, and green wire on G and twist the metal ends of these three wires together, then turn power back on. Let me know if unit runs.
nothing. air handler doesn't come on either
You sure you turned the air handler power off first? There is a small low voltage fuse on most circuit boards that might have blown.
Yes. All the power is off. Air handler switch and the main fuse at the fuse box.
Where is the circuit board?
OK, but after bypassing thermostat in procedure outlined above, I wanted power turned back on to see if everything would run?
Yes, I did that. Nothing. Now I have put it all back together and there is nothing at all running. No air handler, no anything.
no power to the thermostat
OK, not sure what to tell you. On the air handler, inside the panels is a control circuit board. If you did not power off air handler before changing the thermostat wires around, it's possible you may have blown a small fuse on the board.
ok. at this point we tried. I'll give someone a call tomorrow to come out.
Yeah, sorry, it was a shot anyways. The fact that you did not hear a click at outside unit when cooling was turned on, led me to believe possible issue with thermostat. But I wonder if that small fuse might have gotten blown. In any case, yes, good luck! Thanks for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service as that's how experts get paid (thanks in advance for any bonus left). Feel free to post back with any additional questions.
Did you have additional questions on this?