BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

My Carrier 38ckc060300 unit has been coming on and off intermittently.

Customer Question

My Carrier 38ckc060300 unit has been coming on and off intermittently. Can you please help?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.Is the outdoor cycling on and off while thermostat is calling for COOL and indoor keeps running?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tim,
My name is***** for attempting to help.
The answer is No. Either the unit comes on, both outside and inside, or it is off.
Ok if both are not coming on or are going off, this may be a thermostat issue. First , have you replaced batteries if thermostat has them and next, is the issue consistant enough we can get it to be off when it should be on in order to troubleshoot?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have just replaced the battery in the thermostat and it continues to not come on.
Lets do this. Go to thermostat .Disconnect R Y and G wires and twist them together or connect them using a jumper.If units stay running we know issue is in thermostat. If not we will go a different direction.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, give me a couple of minutes
Take your time
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hold on. You know that the unit is NOT running. I have not been able to get it to come on today at all, despite being very, very hot outside.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
BTW, my thermostat has Red, White, Blue and Green wires. There is no Yellow
Have to step away for a few minutes but will be right back.Try what I said and see if units come on. If not let me know if you have a volt meter for troubleshooting. Be back shortly.I will open to other experts while gone so you don't have to wait.I suspect the blue is going to Y.. Do this whit whatever color wires go to R, G and Y
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK and I do not have a volt meter
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, done.. There were two Reds. I twisted all four together and nothing happened.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 2 years ago.
hello,
do you know if the system has a pump to transfer the condensation away?
Is the unit in attic?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't know. The unit is outside
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 2 years ago.
That is justhalf of the system...I mean the indoor blower
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The filter unit is in my garage, alongside of the central heating portion of the unit. That is where I change filters and I tend to get a lot of condensation build up when the unit is on for a couple of hours. But, the unit has not come on all day today.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, the indoor blower then is in the garage.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 2 years ago.
Thank you...now from the blower unit is a drain pipe...can you tell me where this drains to?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I dont know if I can see it. Let me get a good look and I will let you know.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 2 years ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, yes, it was quite easy because the drain comes from the side of the unit. There is some galv pipe, about 1/2" diameter. Then it connects to some flex and then back into galv pipe. On the last bit of galv pipe there is a yellow valve, I guess.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 2 years ago.
Is that the drain pipe from ac coil or is that gas pipe into the furnace section? Can you post a picture?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can snap a pic. Hold on.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 2 years ago.
Thank you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Dang, my java script is not letting me add the photo to this website.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am on firefox and I always have probs trying to do that function. If I was on Google Chrome, I would not have the same problem.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is there something you can have me look at to see if it is a drain or a gas line?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 2 years ago.
can you post at a file share site? Tumblr, Flickr, mediafire.com
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No need. I can confirm it is a gas line because it goes into the upper portion where the pilot and heater unit is. I cannot see the drain
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
All I can see is the filter unit and the big blower. I cannot see if there is something coming off the back of the blower section, but I don't think there is.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The condenser and all the other parts are outside.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 2 years ago.
Do you see where the 2 pipes enter the unit that attach it to the outdoor unit?
freon pipes...
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can see a big drain pipe at the bottom of the outside unit. I don't know what freon pipes look like
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 2 years ago.
ok...look at outdoor unit...there are 3 things that leave that unit and go into house/garage...1 pipe with black rubber coating...1 pipe the thickness of a sharpie...and a pipe into a shut off box on the side of the house.
see those pipes?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, I def see two of them. One is larger, maybe 5/9" diameter. That one has some black insulator on it, but not the entire thing. The other is smaller in diameter, maybe 1/4" or 3/8". Both of these have little black knobs right before they go into the unit and I can twist these knobs, like they control a valve or something
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, there is a third one. It is a flex, looks like it could be electrical because it is going into some sort of fuze box made by Cutler Hammer
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 2 years ago.
now follow those pipes...once there...look 1 foot below them and tell me if you see a drain pipe
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I cannot see one foot below them because the unit was mounted on a special slab. One foot below would be underground
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 2 years ago.
Not there....you follow them...inside to unit..once you are at the opposite end of those pipes....then you look below by 1 ft
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I can't follow them to the inside unit because they go up through an area of the attic that I cannot access.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 2 years ago.
You see those pipes go to the blower. The blower is attached to an indoor ac coil...that is where the drain is I refer to. many units have a drain safety switch that cut power to the thermostat if the drain backs up.
If you cannot find where those pipes lead to inside at the blower unit you may have to call for service
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, I'm getting smarter. I can see where those pipes from the outer unit go into the inner unit. Then about a foot below are a bunch of white pvc pipes. IS that the drain?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 2 years ago.
correct...white pvc is the main type of pipe used for the drain.
Now imagine water draining from the unit down....follow the pipe and tell me what/where it goes
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Two pvc pipes are coming out of the unit at a junction box. That junction box has a red sticker on it and it says,
"Caution, coil pressurized. "
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 2 years ago.
Now follow to other end
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The two pvc go into one pvc and that goes down about another foot or so to a black box with a huge knob on it. That box is made by Beckett Corp. The single pvc pipe going into that is not secured. It just sits at the top opening and I can easily pull it out. There is also a small copper pipe coming off of that Beckett box.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 2 years ago.
great...is that box filled with water?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How do I open it?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 2 years ago.
move the larger pipe out od the way...look inside..jiggle the pump...is it heavy with water?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There is water in it. I would not call it full though
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The box is affixed to the side of the main unit. I can not jiggle it. But, I can see that it is maybe half full when I shine a light down inside the drain from the pvc on the top.
There is also a door on the side and it looks like i can pry that open with a flat screwdriver.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 2 years ago.
...pour water in the top hole in box until activates
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
How will I know that it activates?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 2 years ago.
it will hum and start pumping
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK give me a minute
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oh, should i have the ac unit on at the thermostat?
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 2 years ago.
standing by
does not matter if ac is on or off
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, after pouring in 3 1/2 cups of water in it, it started to hum.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
JUst went back out and it is not humming anymore
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 2 years ago.
great....so it appeared to pump out and then shut down?...good.
now try ac from thermostat again..
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yea, filled it up again and it pumped it out in less than 20 seconds. Let me try turning on at the thermo
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 2 years ago.
sb
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not coming on. I think I have the wires in the thermostat correctly. They are very tiny and it's difficult to see if they are making a connection under the screws.
Expert:  BillyHvac replied 2 years ago.
From this point it would take troubleshooting with a meter to go farther.
I apologize but we are at the point where voltage needs to be determined
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
So I need to call a technician???