airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

Rick, I have a Goodman GMVC95 using 2-stage heat / single

Customer Question

Hi Rick, I have a Goodman GMVC95 using 2-stage heat / single stage cooling linked to a Honeywell RTH7600D stat. The system works fine in heat mode but, when changing over to cool mode, the Goodman shows the status code P2 (Heat Pump mode). Any idea why that might be? I 've gone through the dip-switches and thermostat settings and wiring and everything appears to be correct.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.Let me take a look at manuals on both and see if I see anything.
Lest start with thermostat: Verify we are wire Power wire to R with jumper to Rc,One heat wire to W, other heat wire to W2 fan wire to G, Ac wire to Y Common wire to C and that you have selected 9 for function 0170,and 3 for Function 0240
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, Yes, that all looks correct.
I will look through my Goodman bulletins and see if I see anything on this, Meanwhile I will open to other experts who may know right off.I have opted out of the question to see if perhaps other experts may have more information and can assist.Please do not rate or reply as that will send question back to my desk.Please stand by to see if another expert can assist further.If not, after a reasonable time, we can request a refund of your deposit.
I have looked at over 2 dozen bulletins on this furnace, most refer to issues with the control board being a problem giving incorrect codes, but nothing specific to the P2 status.
WE can leave open as long as you want, but if no expert can provide an answer, we can request a refund of your deposit.Hopefully someone will have an answer for you.Thanks again for allowing me to try to help with this.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just to clarify, the cooling unit is AC and according to the manual, we should see C1 status. The P2 status indicates heat pump mode. I have seen couple of others with similar issues to this online and one was rectified by changing to a different make/model of thermostat but, this one seems to have broad compatibility.
Yes it sounds to me like the board is seeing it as a heat pump for some reason.How old and was it installed by a licensed contractor> If so I might see if they would replace the board.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The furnace was installed new last fall but, we didn't test the AC at that time due to cold temps. Are board failures very common?
Yes the boards are known issues with the furnace.I highly recommend calling installer as this should be a warranty issue, both parts and labor if just installed last fall.I suspect it to be a conflict in the board.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Okay, I'll look into pursuing that course. Thank you for the information and all your help.
THanks for letting me try