HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Yes, Sir. My unit, a Lennox SL280UHV, is not blowing cool…

Customer Question
Yes, Sir. My unit, a Lennox...
Yes, Sir.
My unit, a Lennox SL280UHV, is not blowing cool enough air to get our house cool enough. There's an error code displayed, E250.
Please advise.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: HVAC
6/5/2015
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 3 years ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.The E250 error code should not have anything to do with the AC. That is a furnace code indicating that one of the limit switches is open in the heating circuit. Does fan seem to be running normal speed and does it cycle off when you turn off the ac?
Yes, fan cycles off & normal speed.
That is strange with the E250 error code.Does heat work if you turn to heat? Also in cool mode, make sure outdoor unit is coming on and tell me if the large copper line from outdoor unit to indoor coil is cold.
Haven't tried the heat.
Outdoor unit goes on as normal.
Copper coil is cold but rechecking
The large copper line should be what we used to call 'Ber can cold". About as cold as a beer can or coke can just taken out of ice chest. Temp difference between return air and supply air should be about 17 to 20 degree difference.
No, Not that cold at all, slightly cool
If outdoor is running and indoor is running, but suction line is not cold and sweating, most likley system is slightly low on refrigerant.
How often should this be refilled or recharged?
System is sealed and should never need recharged, But with copper being imported from China due to national trade agreements, it is pretty common today to develop leaks. Do you by chance have access to a set of refrigerant gauges so we can check charge.
Do not have guages
My suspicion is low charge, but without gauges, it will be necessary to call in a tech. You will probably need refrigerant so most likley going to result in a service call anyway.
Ok. So what if it's a leak & it's a new unit less than one year old, will the safe problem happen again w cheap China parts?
If system is indeed low, I would have them make every effort to locate the leak and make repairs while warranty still covers it.Most manufacturers have started stating in their warranties, that they will only cover refrigerant leaks for 1 year although parts may carry a 5 or 10 year warranty.
It's under warranty, < 1 year
How do I ensure I get quality parts?
I recommend making sure to use an authorized Lennox dealer. Preferably company who installed if possible.
Ok thanks
Thanks for allowing me to work with you. Hope information was helpful. Feel free to follow up with results.
Ok
You can come back to question anytime for 30 days