HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada1960 construction 2 storey…

Customer Question
Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada 1960...
Location: Calgary, Alberta Canada
1960 construction 2 storey wood frame house with 150,000 BTU Burnham (age 1999) atmospheric boiler heating and Tekmar Controls operating a perimeter hot water heating system. The boiler gets combustion air through a 10" insulated flex pipe/vent system. The heating system works great. I considered a new condensing boiler but my plumber suggested that I wait until the boiler fails.
The house is being renovated, however the heating system is not being modified except for the minor relocation of some heating runs.
Situation
Building inspector requires a HRV system to be installed. It is very difficult because there are no existing chases or heating ductwork to distribute the Makeup Air.
Questions
1. Will a correctly balanced HRV system interfere with the passive fresh air system of the boiler? I would expect that pressurizing the house will cause the boiler fresh air vent to reverse direction of flow (out rather than in).
2. If I choose to upgrade the boiler now, is there a condensing boiler that has an HRV built in?
3. The HRV ductwork through the house will be 'supply only'. There is no air return duct system back to the exhaust side of the HRV unit. I fail to understand how 'contaminated air' from the 2nd storey, will make its way back to the mechanical room in the corner of the basement without some type of return air ductwork?
Forgive these dumb questions...but I am a land developer.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: HVAC
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from yo. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Answered in 1 day by:
6/6/2015
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 3 years ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Use reply please
Is the inspector wanting the hrv for combustion air via a positive pressure intake? Or is it a fresh air requirement to be introduce into living space?
fresh air only
Combustion air to the natural gas boiler is via a 10" insulated vent from the outside.
The HVAC Inspector is now calling for Fresh Air Vents in; living room, den, dining room, master bedroom and 3 bedrooms. Dirty Air Returns in; utility room, 3 bathrooms, kitchen, main foyer, walk-in closet. Our plumber is suggesting that the duct system consist of a 7" feeder pipe with 4" distribution lines off the feeder going to the rooms. Dirty Air Returns are the same. Since there is no ducting at present, this mean bulkheads throughout the house. Importantly, I just halted the kitchen cabinet production as these will likely have to be changed to accommodate the bulkhead. Help!