HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I need to repair AC

Customer Question
I need to repair AC
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
6/3/2015
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 3 years ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.Give me some detais about what is happening and what you need help with?Is this a central system? Heat Pump? Does unit come on?etc
First I want to understand the process of you helping me. Your automated system has determined a price for this consult based on my inputting the level of difficulty. Because I have some understanding of the system, I consider this an easy job but as the consult progresses and you feel it is more difficult, will you revise the price at some point? If you do, at that point do i have the option of saying noand be considered an unsatisfied customer?Next thing I need to understand is the process. Obviously I am going to have to go to the AC and get info as you guide me through this. So, it will take time to actually diagnose and fix the problem. I may even have to go to the store to get parts and come back. Does this chat window stay open during that whole time? If I have to disconnect, will I be able to get back to the chat with the same agent and still continue under the same fee or will that be considered a new consult for a new price?
Are you reading? Are you going to answer?
I am not sure if any thing can be accomplished in 10 minutes. You should really tell that to customer before getting the deposit. any way, When you finally get on line here, you can skip my first question and directly go to the problem which is described down below:
Ok. Now the basic information about the problem and the unit etc.The AC split unit is relatively old. The outdoor unit is Ducane model # ***** about 15 years old. Attic unit is American Standard model TWE030C140BO with electric heat, about 10 years old.About 3 months ago the time delay relay switch in the attic unit was changed because the blower stayed on all the time.Problem: The unit has been cooling fine until yesterday evening when I noticed that the indoor unit is blowing room temperature air, not cool. I saw that the outdoor unit is not running. There is no clicking or humming at the outdoor unit. The thermostat is Honewell CT3200 installed at the same time when the new attic unit was installed 10 years ago. The thermostat is set to cool, auto. When the target temp was set to below the room temp, the indoor blower came on but not the outdoor unit stays off. The circuit breaker is intact. The outdoor disconnect box is on and I turned it off and on again to make sure it was correct. There is no ice/freezing of the line. The thermostat wire from the attic unit to outdoor unit in intact (the visible parts of it).These are the diagnosis steps I have done so far:Opened the cover on the electrical on the outside unit. There is 220 volt power going to the contactor and to the capacitor. Pushing the contactor with screw driver turns the fan on and stays on as long as I hold it pushed in.Voltage measurements: At the thermostat: The voltage is AC and not DC and measures around 35-40 volt. With the thermostat set to auto, cool and temp set below current temp with attic unit blowing: Between y-w= yes, w-r=yes, g-w=yes, y-r=no. With thermostat set to "system off" There is voltage present only between G-R=yes, all others no. At the outside unit: there is no voltage present between the two low power terminals.At the thermostat: shorting the red - yellow labeled terminals on thermostat without disconnecting the wires does not turn the outside unit on.My diagnosis at this point is: the outside unit is not getting the low voltage to kick the contactor on. Since shorting the red-yellow wires does not turn it on, I am assuming it is some relay bad.What is your diagnosis: and how do i fix it?
This is really ridiculous. I am sitting here waiting for you to respond!
I AM ALREADY WAITING FOR 30 MINUTES
THIS IS A JOKE. I AM CANCELLING THIS SESSION. DO NOT CHARGE MY CREDIT CARD ANY MONEY. PROCESS A REFUND FOR THE $5 DEPOSIT!!!!