airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I just moved into a home

Customer Question

I just moved into a home with a Totaline thermostat for my AC and heat. I believe it's in the P474 series. But the manual for P474-2150 (and others in this series) is uninstructive from the start. At Quick Start, i hold down both Mode and Override (fan) buttons for two seconds to enter setup. But at that point, arrow buttons seem dead; they do not change time or date. I will be satisfied with an answer that gets me past this point and on the way to full progamming of this thermostat.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.There should be a complete number inside the thermostat.Lets see if we can find it and make sure we are dealing with right thermostat first.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
P474-1050
Give me a few moments to locate the manual
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok
OK now o display what do you ave? And when you try to enter setup, does display go blank or just not responsive to adjustments?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It indicates "setup," but not responsive to arrow buttons, up or down
Lets try this. Hold those buttons Mode and Overide for 7 seconds and see if that works
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, give me a min. I need to replace the cover first. BRB
Standing by
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nope. I tried 7 seconds once, then 8-10 seconds for good measure. In each case, it read "setup" and the "8:58," a previous setting, blinked, but in each case the blinking numbers did not respond to the arrow buttons.
TRy same thing but this time hold down MODE and FAN for 7 seconds
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On this model, "Fan" button is "Override" button.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
with different model numbers, and different manuals, the same button is called two different things.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The one on my wall, and the manual for the 1050, calls it "Fan"
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In the P474-2150 manual, the same round button in the same location is called "override."
I see. My service manual states "8) Setup – can’t get into advanced setup or can’t get past step 2 – to get into setup on any of the 4
button thermostats, hold Mode and Fan (or Mode and Override) for SEVEN seconds. If you only hold
the buttons two seconds, you can only get to step two. You must hold the buttons SEVEN seconds,
even though the display will say setup after two seconds.
THat is all I have.
I will open to other experts to see if they have any other ideas. If not you may have to replace as it could have taken a power spike at some time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, you're asking me to do the same thing a second time -- the SEVEN SECONDS bit -- but I'll give it a second try and get back to you.
Here is a link to what I have. If buttons still do not respond try pressing Mode, UP and DOWN all at same time to see if maybe it is locked.
https://www.totaline.com/dl/troubleshooting_signature_star.pdf
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Do I do that before or after the Mode+Fan for 2 or 7 seconds part. I'm guessing after. Yes?
I would do the unlock procedure first.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok BRB
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Still no.
I have opted out of the question to see if perhaps other experts may have more information and can assist.Please do not rate or reply as that will send question back to my desk.Please stand by to see if another expert can assist further.If not, after a reasonable time, we can request a refund of your deposit.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
What's a reasonable time?
JUst when you feel you no longer want to wait .There are a couple of dozen HVAC techs on the site. Usually 5 or 6 online at any given time.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Alright. I'll check later this evening. Meanwhile, please know that I'm writing from Scottsdale, AZ, where functioning thermostats are considered important on 100 degree days.
I understand. At this point my suspicion since we have followed Totaline's troubleshooting guidelines that ultimately you will need to replace thee thermostat.If you do, I will be happy to assist if you need help with new one. You can pick up a fairly nice programmable thermostat at Lowes or Home Depot for about 40 bucks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I hear you.
Each time you reply,I must respond or site prevents me from working with anyone else until I respond to you. This is why I say please stand by and see if another expert replies.Thanks again for letting me work with you to this point.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tim is nice enough, and he certainly offered me his time. At least he consulted the manuals that I myself had consulted online. But can I say that I'm satisfied with his answer? In my question I wrote that "I will be satisfied with an answer that gets me past this point [described in my question] and on the way to full progamming of this thermostat." By that standard, I have to say, no, I'm not satisfied. I'm no further along than I was when I first posed my question.
I will send to moderators requesting refund