HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Our system is not even 3 years old. The Nordyne heat

Customer Question
Hello, Our system is not...
Hello, Our system is not even 3 years old. The Nordyne heat pump system outdoor unit continues to have a refridgerant line pinhole leak. We have had thwe Ivac guy out three times. Braising did not fix the problem. Whats next
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: HVAC
5/31/2015
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 3 years ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.Unfortunately although parts are under warranty. Nordyne will usually not cover leaks after first year.Now with that said if the leak were in the condensor coil, they would provide a new coil or if a feeder on the expansion valve, a new valve. can you upload a photo showing me where leak is?
It may be necessary to cut the section of copper out and replace it.
My husband is a Union electrican and he thought that this would have to happen. No HVAC Tech. suggested this.
The issue is not that uncommon.Our government has our nation obligated under federal trade agreements with China to purchase a certain amount of metals from them. The imported copper from China does mot meet the standards we require, but it is being imported anyway.When used in ac and refrigeration with high pressure, the tubing will develop pinholes and often even crack in places where there are bends.
Sad part is the government will not take responsibility,manufacturers will mot take responsibility,distributors or dealers will not take responsibility so the homeowner as end user gets stuck with repairs.
I have had to cut sections out and replace the section that is leaking.
Disgusting Is there a special IVAC Tech we should contact . I am not to happy with the two that came to our house.
Since this is not a warranty issue, it does not have to be a Nordyne dealer.My suggestion is to ask your friends who they use .If that does not help,do a Google search for hvac contractors in your zip code and read their reviews.I am in Grand Bay Alabama.Where are you located?
ok We live in Pa. I will do. Thank you . My husband had an idea but no one will acknoage this.
It really maks it tough on us as installers as this will probably cost a few hundred bucks (reclaiming refrigerant, welding,vacuuming purging and recharging) which you are not happy about since you just paid several thousand dollars for the system.
Yes it does. But a couple hundred is better then a couple thousands. Thank you
Thanks for allowing me to work with you. Please rate answer below if you feel I have been polite, courteous and thorough addresing your issue.