HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Power out of transformer but nothing at thermostat. Replaced…

Customer Question
Power out of transformer but...
Power out of transformer but nothing at thermostat. Replaced t stat wire checked common, this is a heat pump system. Stuck. System is less than a year old carrier 5 ton unit all electric
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: HVAC
5/30/2015
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 3 years ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.If we have 24v out of transformer but not at thermostat, we have to have a break in circuit somewhere. Can you take a photo of the wiring diagram on lable in air handler and follow the hot and common low voltage wire from transformer and tell me where they go?
for the 24 volt or 120 v
The 24 volt side. We should have a hot and a common 24 wire. They should go from transformer to thermostat. WE need to find what components they go through to determine which is not allowing the circuit to thermostat.
From the transformer the red and brown are the 24 volt hot legs. Red runs to a fuse and then to the t stat brown, which is the common, runs to a crimp point where 4 wires split off one to the t stat one to a # ***** terminal and one to a 3 terminal both connected to the fan motor
The red also connects to the condenser unit outside
The brown wire connects to both the condenser unit and fan oil as well.
Can you upload a photo?
I have replaced the t stat wires, the transformer, though the other was still ok, the fuses to the disconnect, the breakers and I have a new t stat. It worked fine and then one day it just stopped. I have tried to jumper the t stat nothing, I am thinking it may have something to do with the circuit board in the fan coil unit though I checked voltage out of that and it seemed fine.
Yes of what the circuit or the actual unit guts