HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I just replaced my thermostat and it doesn't seem to be communicating…

Customer Question
I just replaced my thermostat...
I just replaced my thermostat and it doesn't seem to be communicating with the HVAC unit - the unit is a AMANA model#ARUF303016AA and the Thermostat is a Honeywell PRO 1000, the same as previous
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: HVAC
5/30/2015
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 3 years ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.Did you turn power off before replacing thermostat? If not you could have blown a small fuse in air handler if wires touched while installing
Just checked the fuse box and nothing looks blown
Take wire from R and wire from G at thermostat and touch them together and tell me if fan comes on
Nothing happens
OPen air handler and look on control board for a small purple 3 amp automotive fuse.Rmeove it and see if it is blown. See link below to identify the board and fuse.
http://www.hvacpartsoutlet.com/Goodman-Fan-Blower-Control-Board-PCBFM103S.aspx
as far as I can tell it looks fine
Do you have a volt meter for troubleshooting? If touching R and G together did not bring on fan, it does not sound like we have voltage to thermostat.
I don't have a voltmeter. Is there another way to test?
Unfortunately a meter will be necessary for troubleshooting beyond those hands on visuals. You can get an inexpensive one at Walmart for about 15 bucks if you want to troubleshoot and I will guide you.
Thanks. I'll just call a technician to come out
I understand. It sounds like for some reason the thermostat is not getting 24 volts
Thanks for the help
THanks for allowing me to work with you.
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 3 years ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Welcome!.
It will be entirely unusual of there is not a good sized wiring diagram glued to the inside of of the service panels, or at least the cover over the controls box inside the unit.
Take a look for that. If you find it take a close up picture of it, from straight on, not at an angle, well focused. and attach it here using the 'attach files' icon at the lower left hand corner of your reply box.
I will mark it up with wiring instructions.
We can go from there.
Thanks
http://screencast.com/t/nHcGAkvI
Is that the capacitor marked with a blue arrow?
If it is, take a few very well lit photo's from the angle shown in red I might be able to figure out which two wires go to the capacitor... you will need one or two flash lights at the least. or a drop light to get a usable picture.. or possibly the flash on your camera will work.
Thanks.
Thanks for the effort... but I can't tell from the picture.
There should be a wiring diagram glued to the motor however, it will be a lot of work to get at it however... see if you see it with a mechanics extension mirror... we can see if its good enough to be worth pulling blower out for.
.
http://screencast.com/t/ke0jVfrIPBwW
This is going to be a lot of work for you.
.
I've got a message into a technician. Thanks for the assistance
Good idea! We got off onto the motor and capacitor here while looking for the units wiring diagram, its a controls problem not a motor problem. Hopefully the tech can track the problem down with the diagram.
.