Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I just replaced my thermostat and it doesn't seem to be communicating

Customer Question

I just replaced my thermostat and it doesn't seem to be communicating with the HVAC unit - the unit is a AMANA model#ARUF303016AA and the Thermostat is a Honeywell PRO 1000, the same as previous
Category: HVAC
Expert:  airheatman replied 2 years ago.
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.Did you turn power off before replacing thermostat? If not you could have blown a small fuse in air handler if wires touched while installing
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just checked the fuse box and nothing looks blown
Take wire from R and wire from G at thermostat and touch them together and tell me if fan comes on
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Nothing happens
OPen air handler and look on control board for a small purple 3 amp automotive fuse.Rmeove it and see if it is blown. See link below to identify the board and fuse.
http://www.hvacpartsoutlet.com/Goodman-Fan-Blower-Control-Board-PCBFM103S.aspx
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
as far as I can tell it looks fine
Do you have a volt meter for troubleshooting? If touching R and G together did not bring on fan, it does not sound like we have voltage to thermostat.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't have a voltmeter. Is there another way to test?
Unfortunately a meter will be necessary for troubleshooting beyond those hands on visuals. You can get an inexpensive one at Walmart for about 15 bucks if you want to troubleshoot and I will guide you.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. I'll just call a technician to come out
I understand. It sounds like for some reason the thermostat is not getting 24 volts
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the help
THanks for allowing me to work with you.
Expert:  Phil replied 2 years ago.
Welcome!.
It will be entirely unusual of there is not a good sized wiring diagram glued to the inside of of the service panels, or at least the cover over the controls box inside the unit.
Take a look for that. If you find it take a close up picture of it, from straight on, not at an angle, well focused. and attach it here using the 'attach files' icon at the lower left hand corner of your reply box.
I will mark it up with wiring instructions.
We can go from there.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I don't see anything like that
Expert:  Phil replied 2 years ago.
Thanks
http://screencast.com/t/nHcGAkvI
Is that the capacitor marked with a blue arrow?
If it is, take a few very well lit photo's from the angle shown in red I might be able to figure out which two wires go to the capacitor... you will need one or two flash lights at the least. or a drop light to get a usable picture.. or possibly the flash on your camera will work.
Thanks.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It looks like three wires - thick brown, thick purple and skinny purple
Expert:  Phil replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for the effort... but I can't tell from the picture.
There should be a wiring diagram glued to the motor however, it will be a lot of work to get at it however... see if you see it with a mechanics extension mirror... we can see if its good enough to be worth pulling blower out for.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is this photo any more helpful?
Expert:  Phil replied 2 years ago.
http://screencast.com/t/ke0jVfrIPBwW
This is going to be a lot of work for you.
.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I've got a message into a technician. Thanks for the assistance
Expert:  Phil replied 2 years ago.
Good idea! We got off onto the motor and capacitor here while looking for the units wiring diagram, its a controls problem not a motor problem. Hopefully the tech can track the problem down with the diagram.
.