HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have several Trane SWUA-2004 AHU's in my building. The coils…

Customer Question
I have several Trane SWUA-2004...
I have several Trane SWUA-2004 AHU's in my building. The coils are starting to leak and I was wondering what the specifications for the coil are. LxH and Fins/inch. Also anything else the fabricator might need to know to supply a replacement.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: HVAC
5/28/2015
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 3 years ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Welcome!
I might have to spend more than a few hours on this, and your deposit will not cover that.
We might be able to limit the time however if you can tell me what the local Trane dealer had to say.... and if you can tell me the approximate size of motor, the outside dimensions of the air handler and space it cools so that I estimate your cost options.
It is viable have a custom coil built for a larger system but not a smaller one.
Another issue is Trane has two divisions, residential and very large scale commercial industrial, ask for that number from the local dealer, that will save us some time.
.
The AHU's are 20 or 25 ton commercial units in a 4 story office building. There are 6 of the 20 ton units and 2 of the 25 ton units (on the top floor). The system has a 200 ton cooling tower supplying cold water to the AHU's. The coil in the 20 ton units is approximately 3 feet by 6 feet. By my count it has 12 fins/inch. What I am looking for are "official" specs from Trane for the unit, so that the quotes I get are for the correct replacement. The original coil model number from the distributor is COL03200. I got a quote from the distributor for $10,341. I got a quote from an HVAC company for $6,850 and I got a quote from a coil manufacture for $2,250. I want to make sure that the coil manufacturer quote is apples to apples. The coil company is Coil Company, LLC. Having had similar pricing discrepancies in the past, and the cheaper ones sometimes turned out equal or superior to the more expensive, I want to confirm that the company is reputable and the replacement is to spec.
Sorry the coil model number is ***** from the Trane custom coil people. They said the distributor could supply it. the number for the Trane custom coils (surefit) is(###) ###-####
Thanks for the information. all that is a 4 or 5 hour project on this end, and is not viable for your offer.
You need the following data that you measure yourself directly from the coils... number of fins per inch, how many rows of copper tube deep is the coil. tube diameter and wall thickness ....length, and height, and a sketch of the pipe connections marked 'in' and 'out'
I do not have the Trane specs for that coil.
Beyond that, the best approach would be to do the verification yourself by taking very exact measurements of the existing coils, especially the mounting flanges and pipe connections, then comparing them in detail
with the $2,250 offer.
Make sure that the other prices do not include installation, installed, that $2,250 offer would add up to $7,000 or so.
---------
On this end my day job pays me what most do in the industrial market. $75 an hour. I can't afford to invest 3 or 4 hours in assisting you for your current offer, unfortunately... my cut of that would not buy me a cup of coffee at Starbucks... and would take hours.
I can help you with that, and a few other things related the project if you will accept the 'additional service' offer I am sending you.
.