HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Am reading this because I have similar problem - The air conditioner lines with black

Customer Question
Hi - am reading this...
Hi - am reading this because I have similar problem - The air conditioner lines with black insulation on them have frost/are dripping- is not a dirty filter (change them every 1- 2 months) but the air conditioner has been making a sort of whistling sound recently
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
5/26/2015
HVAC Technician: Jason Whatley, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
Jason Whatley
Jason Whatley, HVAC Technician
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I'm here to help you out! I see your question has not been answered and I'm very sorry for the delay!! What you are experiencing is caused by one of the following:
1) Air flow restriction. This can be caused by a dirty filter (which you say has been replaced as recommended), a dirty or failing blower wheel/ motor, dirty evaporator coil (inside portion of the ac system) or duct restriction (too many vents closed/blocked off).
2) Faulty thermal expansion valve (aka TXV/TEV) - this will need to be checked by a technician.
3) Low refrigerant charge. This is the most common cause of freezing or icing refrigerant lines. If your system is low on charge, there is a leak that will need to be repaired - your system should never have to be recharged as refrigerant does not deplete or lose chemical composition over time. This will also need to be checked by a technician.
Jason Whatley
Jason Whatley
Jason Whatley, HVAC Technician