HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

Just had a repairman claim that blower bushings are failing…

Customer Question
Just had a repairman claim...
Just had a repairman claim that blower bushings are failing and compressor valves have failed. He is recommending replacing condensor unit and coil for $3340. He was called for annual servicing. Unit has had no problems thus far. His diagnosis seems off base.
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: HVAC
5/22/2015
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 3 years ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer

Welcome! We keep going until you have all of the information you need.[b/]. Extensive training & coaching also available.

If the system was working well before he arrived then he would generally be totally out of line in such a diagnosis... I would call his boss first, and if a deep apology is not forthcoming, I would switch maintenance companies right away, I might switch anyway.

If the system is over 10 or 15 years old however, the blower motor bushings would indeed be worn, and the compressor valves might not be 100% up to par, but that is not a cause to replace the entire unit however, maybe replace the fan motor for $400 or so.

Tell me please about how old the system is. We can go from there.

.............

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge.