HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a Trane XB80 residential unit, It leaks on the filter…

Customer Question
I have a Trane XB80...
I have a Trane XB80 residential unit, It leaks on the filter and trickles down the side. I've cleaned the drain and it flows well now & the leaking down the side has stopped. Do I need to go inside to the pan for leaks ?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: HVAC
5/22/2015
HVAC Technician: Phil, Mechanical Engineer replied 3 years ago
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Welcome! We keep going until you have all of the information you need.[b/]. Extensive training & coaching also available.
You have fixed the direct cause of the leak, the pan inside most likely does not leak, cleaning it is never a bad idea however. Those can build up good sized globs of mold and slime.
..
We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service before you leave today. If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge.
Hello. In reference to the answer, I don't think the leak is fixed because: on initial start up there was lots of water escaping. the next morning there is water still dripping down the center of the unit wetting the filter. All of the side overflow has stopped. Residual overflow has stopped but the filter getting wet which gets on the wall. Is there a drawing of the unit I can have to troubleshoot the issue before I open it up?
Hello again,
http://screencast.com/t/zvoM1rsp4
copy/ paste that to your browser please.
You can get leaks down through the center of the furnace in two ways.
1. A rusted out or cracked drain pan,
2. or as shown in the blue drip pathway I have shown on one of my earlier drawings, from some hair or pieces of lint or mold on the face of the coil, that bypasses the drain pan.
Let me know what you think, we can go from there.
.