Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Had hvac tech come friday bc ac stays at 75 all day long and

Customer Question

Had hvac tech come friday bc ac stays at 75 all day long and won't reach 70 or 71. He checked outside heat pump and said everything was fine. Told me to check temp difference between output and return and said to clean coils if not at least 15 degrees. Your thoughts?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 2 years ago.
Russ here. Welcome. I am here to help. Please do not rate until you are satisfied with answer. Always available for follow up questions. You should have at 20 degree difference between Inlet and outlet temp. Sounds low on freon. Go outside and feel large copper line to see if it is cold. Should be very cold and sweating. Feel small line to see if it is like warm or hot. Russ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tech checked freon and said it was ok. System works fine at outside temp less than 75 or so but struggles to keep up at higher temps. Tech checked tonnage against sqft and it was ok. Told me to check temp difference, but im waiting for outside temp to reach 75 or higher. Any ideas why it might not be working at higher outside temps?
Check the temperature difference when temp is 75 or higher. What is the size of house and the tonnage. Russ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
2 ton for main floor and basement, 1.5 ton for 2nd floor, house listed at 2600 sqft which I don't think includes basement. Upstairs will cool 3 degrees in mid afternoon in 30 minutes or so. Main floor runs all day long.
Still sounds like a charge problem. Is this a heat pump or ac/furnace. Russ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
It's a heat pump.
Take the reading at closest supply grille and return and let me know. Doers not matter the outside temp. Russ