gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience:  51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC
19613070

Billy, I have a Carrier 58MCB furnace with A/C. Within

Customer Question

Hi Billy,
I have a Carrier 58MCB furnace with A/C. Within last week, we have run both A/C and Heat. The blower has been kicking off after about 5 minutes and there is a burning smell. The blower gets loud before shutting off.
Is this likely the blower capacitor? Could it be something else?
Thanks.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 2 years ago.
Russ here. Welcome. I am here to help. Please do not rate until you are satisfied with answer. Always available for follow up questions. Possible blower motor capacitor is weak or bearings in motor are bad. Usually if bearings are bad you will get a dragging sound when it starts. Replace capacitor first and see if that helps. You would have to replace anyway when you replace motor. Russ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Thanks Russ. i opened the blower compartment and found chunks of styrofoam inside the blower. I imagine that is not normal. trying to remove the condensate trap off to see if there is additional foam inside the blower.

There is definitely a dragging noise when it starts, but i haven't tested the capacitor yet. Is it possible that the styrofoam inside the blower could be causing it to overheat and shut down? The furnace is only 6 years old.

Thanks

Yes it is possible and may have damaged motor. Try cap first. Russ