HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

I have a model 9500 thermostat. The air conditioning comes…

Customer Question
I have a model 9500...
I have a model 9500 thermostat. The air conditioning comes on at 76 degress as set, and seems to be working OK, but the temperature on the display keeps going up and the it never cycles off. (the heat never did this). The thermostat is placed on the wall adjacent to the closet where the air unit is located. Don't know if that impacts it or not. I am sure this is gonna cost a fortune since it does not cycle off. Suggestion?
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: HVAC
5/11/2015
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 3 years ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do.
1. Is outdoor unit coming on?
2.Does air feel cold coming out of registers?

yes, to both, everything is running properly

OK if unit is running and air feels cold, the temp should not be going up. Do you have a thermometer that you might compare to the thermostat display? Your thermostat could be wrong. Is it comfortable in the house?

No I don't have a thermometer. The house feels comfortable. The thermostat/air unit are at one end of the house. That end therefore is typically cooler, which makes the higher temp reading on the thermostat even stranger.

Does that end seem warmer than usual?

not really

I would start by getting a thermometer and comparing actual temp to what thermostat is reading. You may need a new thermostat.

OK I will do that

Let me know and we can go from here.