HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

How do you get the fan off of the condenser motor

Customer Question
how do you get the fan off of the condenser motor
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
5/10/2015
HVAC Technician: Jason Whatley, HVAC Technician replied 2 years ago
Jason Whatley
Jason Whatley, HVAC Technician
Hi! My name is ***** ***** I'm here to help you out! Are you having trouble removing the fan blade from the shaft? First we need to make sure the lock nuts are not tightened down holding the fan blade hub to the shaft. The lock nut, or nuts if there are more than one, will either be an Allen wrench type or a square headed stud. Remove these completely. If the shaft is rusted, you can use a fine grit sand paper to remove the rust until you see the original metal shaft. Next, use a penetrating oil or WD-40 and apply generously to the shaft and in the holes where the lock nuts/stud was. If you do not have a fan blade puller, use a crescent wrench (and only a crescent wrench) to hold the flat part of the fan shaft in place while twisting the fan blade hub to break it free. Do not use any type of pliers or any tool that can mar the shaft and cause gouges - this will make it extremely tough to get the fan blades off. While doing all of this, extreme caution must be used to not bend or flex the fan blades as this will cause them to become unbalanced. If the fan blade is bent in any fashion, it will cause vibration when installed on a new fan motor, and will possibly ruin the bearings in the new motor as well. It is preferable to use a fan blade puller, but if you do not have one, this technique will serve you well.
Jason Whatley
Jason Whatley
Jason Whatley, HVAC Technician