HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

R u onl ine

Customer Question
r u onl ine for discussion...
r u onl
ine for discussion
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
5/5/2015
HVAC Technician: BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech replied 2 years ago
BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
we cannot see a question. Please explain your situation.
is there a hvac technician available yet??????????????????
yes...we are waiting on your question
oh ok, I cannot get a heat pump come on with a cool call, seems I am not getting 24 V at the contactor coil via the yellow wire that comes from the Circuit board. Suspected the pressure switches, so I Ohmed them and they are closed.
I am attempting to find out how the board works but may be on the wrong path. I changed board, but still same
If I jump directly from Red LV wire to left side of Contator coil ( yellow wire side) then it kicks on and runs correctly.
Ok, so we are sure we have 24v going to outdoor unit...but it is not getting to contactor?
Yes,
does your unit have a delay timer?
I don't know, just the small tag on the board is all I have seen ( prongs, test, 30, 60 etc)
Thank you...if you have the make and model I can pull schematic....but have you "jumped" from where you know have 24v to the contactor to make sure contactor is good?
yeah, if I jump directly from Red V, ( from tstat) to yellow side of contactor, coil kicks contactor on, everything comes on)
Goodman , GSZ 130361BAI also have a copy of schematic here, if you have any questions.
that is Red low voltage
so on the control board in outdoor unit..do you have 24v on y terminal there?
no
should that be across Common and Y
The "Y" call comes to outdoor unit...goes through a high pressure switch..then to Y on board. Do you have 24v on the Y wire COMING to outdoor unit?
yes
Thank you....now follow that wire from Y on board BACKWARDS to where it came from...it should go to a high pressure switch...if you have 24v coming to unit BUT NOT at Y on board...the hps is the only thing in between...see if 24v on side of hps but not coming out...
yeah it goes thru the hp and low pressure switches, I isolated and tested the yellow wire for conductance and it is closed, so I assumed the switches are good. is that answering your comment?
Something is open from the time 24v comes outside...and then goes to Y...something in between there is open.Remove the wires from the hps/lps and wire direct together...see if unit fires......what we are missing is 24v on Y terminal on defrost board.
Wire directly together?, The wires run in series thru switches, (factory) is that what you mean?
correct...this is to simply test the circuit direct
It is blue to HP then comes out and factory spliced into yellow with pink then to contactor
well they are spliced together, o 24 volt, but switched ohm good
the system was low on gas, I put and am holding about 70 lbs on it,, at first I suspected the Pswitches, until I tested their conductance
what wires are on ps1 and ps2?
as in pressure switches (ps1....2.?
on the defrost board...I show the lps going to ps1 and ps2...the hps feeds Y byitself
what is ps1 and ps 2?
on the defrost board where Y terminal is.....to the left of Y is ps2 and around the corner is ps1...do you not have these terminals on your board?......if not...have you jumped the hps and lps in series yet?
No I don't have that board. I printed the schematic and see it shows only one lps but on the schematic on HP panel their is 2 press switches, tied in series, then going to contactor, I do not have a labeled ps1 ps 2 on board.
just the C, Y O, W2, R, R DFT,
Thank you...then your lps and hps is in series feeding Y only....you will need to wire past these switches to find which is stuck open....
but I ohmed them and got a closed signal
can you tell me if the 24 voltage also feeds the board at Y& C?
I guess I am wondering if the board can interrupt the 2 signal in any way, keeps looking like the pres switches, but they ohm out ok, so I looking at something else here
24 LV not 2
Dont trust the ohm...hook in series...you have 24v on wire coming INTO unit...but NOT at Y...it is lost in between...
I also wonder if the power from Y stat is intermitant as I jump R toY at stat nothing happens
sorry computer screen went blank.......I will go see what I can find out on the unit
any news update?
Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer