gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience:  51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC
19613070

I have a Rheem Classic heat pump. It was flashing led 2 and

Customer Question

I have a Rheem Classic heat pump. It was flashing led 2 and I could reset it by jumping the test prongs, but now when I do that it alternately flashes led 1 and 2 and won't restart.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  gotoman for ac replied 2 years ago.
Need model number of unit please. Russ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Model # *****
Serial # ***** M1306 23874
Manufacture Date: 3/2006
Alternating lights is high pressure lockout. You will have to turn off air handler ton reset fault. Check condensor fan to make sure it is not over heating. Also check condenser coil to see if it is clean. Russ
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
OK, I turned the thermostat to off, jumped the test prongs to reset then turned thermostat on to cool.
Inside air handler blower came on but not the outside unit, so I jumped the test prongs again and
the outside fan and compressor kicked on for about 10 seconds and kicked back off. I think the
led lights flashed alternately again, but it's bright sun and very hard to see.I must be missing something. In the past, when I jumped the test prongs on the board, the outside fan and compressor
would come on and it would be fine for a long time. When it stopped working again, just Led 2 would be flashing
and when I jumped the test prongs it would kick on and both led lights would flash together which from what I understand
is normal and that's what you want? Now, when I jump the test prongs on the board, it will run for about 10 seconds and kick off with the led light flashing alternately. The legend on the board says that's some kind of "delay" which is what your are calling a high pressure lockout.
If possible put gages on unit and check pressure when the unit shuts off. See if pressure is dropping or going up. i really can not make a correct call without knowing pressure. Russ