HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

Furnace is not able to keep power to it.keeps blowing the circuit

Customer Question
breaker...
furnace is not able to keep power to it.keeps blowing the circuit breaker
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 minute by:
5/1/2015
HVAC Technician: Tim H., HVAC Professional replied 2 years ago
Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.What have you checked so far? Have you inspected the wiring? The blower motor?
blower motor spins freely
wiring looks all plugged in
I replaced the circuit breaker in the fuse box
OK, well the most likely causes for a tripped breaker are a bad blower motor or some wiring that is bad, burned, etc.
where is the capacitor for the blower motor?
It would be down in the lower compartment in the vicinity of the blower motor itself.
is it separated from the motor itself or attached?
Usually separate from the motor, not attached.
this is an air conditioner as well
I would inspect the capacitor, as well to make sure it hasn't "blown"
been looking for it
can you tell me or show me a picture of what it looks like?
doesent seem to be in the schematic
That model you gave me, G2D95 is actually a cased coil, not your furnace
where is the model # *****?
see here
Inside the top door of the furnace
that's where I got it from
The capacitor would look similar to this
near the blower motor
It should be. Follow the blower leads. Some go to the furnace board. There may be a couple of brown leads that go to the capacitor.
If this unit has a variable speed blower (ECM) it will not have a capacitor
no capacitor then
got a circuit board looking thing I can get a model #
But remember, the blower motor is not the only reason for a unit tripping the circuit breaker. I would start by inspecting all high voltage (120 V) wiring. Check the power switch on the side of the unit. Make sure that there are no loose wire nuts, etc.
This may take some time, so if you want to go ahead and do this and come back to it later, that's fine. You have about 5 minutes of chat time left, then it goes to Q and A mode.
check this
white Rodgers model#50a51-210-05
It's OK, I found the armstrong model number and we're good.
integrated?
capacitor?
On an ECM motor, there is a module attached to the back of the motor. This sometimes acts up.
under a cover?
Again, you need to go over everything, not just the motor. Let's not assume it is the motor.
ecm?
no acronyms
That's what variable speed motors are called.
Electrically commutated motor
ECM
thank you
so this model doesn't have a capacitor
We're down to 3 minutes on the chat. I would start inspecting the board, the high voltage wiring, the switch on the side, etc. Something is shorting to ground and causing breaker to trip
gimmi a list of what it could be
The board (tip it over, inspect the back), the power switch (looks like a light switch), the high voltage wiring inside the furnace (any 120 volt wiring), even the blower door safety switch
The blower motor could be bad, but it is difficult to see anything on the outside of ECM (variable speed) blower motors. If everything else checks out, you could remove the blower motor and inspect it. Take the module off the back of the motor and look inside at the electronics.
I been running bak and forth. the second I hit that blower safety switch is when it loses power
Have you tried taking the leads off the blower door safety switch (with breaker off) and just connecting these together and bypass the actual switch?
no
hard to test anything w/o power
I would try that. These switches are cheap and sometimes go bad. We have to do this by process of elimination.
Also, turn power off and tip the boards to inspect the backs of the circuit boards to make sure we don't have a burned spot on the board
The other thing I'd do is check and see if this unit has what looks like a light switch on the side or near the unit that is basically a power switch. Take the cover off, inspect this and see if this might be bad.
We are basically checking anything that is 120 volts on the unit which includes the circuit board, the blower door safety switch, the light switch (power switch), the wiring, and finally the blower motor.
Phil
Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer