HVAC

Have HVAC questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for answers

possibly have a nordyne 624591-d control board that is faulty…

Customer Question
possibly have a nordyne 624591-d...
possibly have a nordyne 624591-d control board that is faulty - purchased universal board Honeywell S9200u1000
Submitted: 3 years ago.Category: HVAC
Answered in 1 hour by:
12/9/2014
HVAC Technician: airheatman, HVAC Technician replied 3 years ago
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll do my best to help. Let's get started and see what we can do. Do you have a volt meter ?
If so, after burners ignite put probes on terminals HEAT terminal and NEUTRAL terminal on board and see if you get 120 volts between them.(You should have the Common fan wire and Low Speed heat wire connected to these terminals)

hey Tim - here is some more detail.

OK I have a Frigidaire furnace made by Teledyne. the control boards has been flaky for past few months and is near death - the board is part number 624591-D. I just purchased a Honeywell s9200U1000 universal control board and the instructions are very straightforward. After diligent exchange of wiring and connectors the new board installed with no issues. it starts fan inducer; lights glow stick; gas turns on and fires no issues then after 30 seconds it clicks to turn on blower motor and nothing happens. it then shuts down and restarts process. Motor is only one year old. I then put old board back in and system fires up no issue but will eventually die and several cycles or so dies. the new board requires some conversion wires and dip switch settings which old board did not require - I don't have a voltmeter - is there another way to check? just wanted to provide more data - the Honeywell board is brand new just out of newly open box

I have personally never been a fan of using these universal boards, but should be able to make it work.(By the way if you ever have issues and need assistance, make sure you mention changing board so tech will know we may get different error codes than what original board had) What concerns me here is that you say you hear it click at time fan should come on. That is why I would like to know if board is sending 120v out. I think Dip switch 2 should be in OFF position so blower starts 30 seconds after burners. It is not out of question that you received a defective board although new.I think I would obtain an inexpensive meter from Lowes for about 20 bucks and verify if board is sending 120v out of NEUTRAL and HEAT terminals since you ARE hearing board click.

let me check wiring - I have white to white; red to red; green to green and yellow to yellow - if i turn fan on rather than auto on tstat - is there a way I can get a wire and touch two of the connectors say white and green to bypass tstat to see if blower motor turns on

To bypass thermostat remove the R and G wire and touch them together. That should activate blower.

OK - will try that -- also on old board had an orange connector on M1 and a blue connector on M2 -- there are no connectors on new board with these tags. should they be going to a connector?

No. M1 and M2 are simply for parking unused fan speed wires.Some fan motors have 3 or four wires (low,med low,med high and high). We only use one speed for heat and one speed for cool so if you had wires to M1 and M2 just tape them off.

OK - unfortunately I need to run - but does it make sense to try these two wires on heat and cold connectors?

You could just to make sure the issue is not with the speed winding that you have selected

Sorry but work has been crazy - now have some time to finish up - on your last comment how can I check the speed winding?

How many speed wires do you have and what colors?

on the nordyne 624591-D board

Cool - black

Heat - Red

M1 - Orange

M2 - Blue

OK to see if the speed winding could be the issue, swap the black and red (Black to heat and RED to cool ) to see if blower will energize on heat mode.

OK may take few minutes to test.

Standing by

OK - tried both your recommendations and neither one work. Tried bypassing thermostat by connecting red and green wires - blower will not activate. Also tried switching cool and heat - still no luck. Not sure what is left to try other than it maybe a defective board.

I would probably replace with an original replacement board rather than a universal. If you can give me complete mode ad serial , I will get you a factory part number.