A-1 Tech
A-1 Tech, Service Manager
Experience:  I have been in the HVAC business for over 40 years.
8655086

Hello, Im an electrician in a remote area. Ive been called

I'm an electrician in a remote area. I've been called in to troubleshoot a TRANE air handler that was installed by others (they've been no help). SERIAL:T13G37791 & MODEL#: Way too long to mention. I don't have the specs in front of me (I'm currently off-site), but it's in the neighborhood of 5 kw. Fed with 2-pole 30 A. It's 208 V single phase.

Problems:

After a recent power outage, two identical units in different areas stopped producing heat. Fans and t-stats work as they're supposed to. I instructed someone on-site to find the 'manual reset' (found in the main electrical compartment). After he did this, when the unit called for heat, the motor went through a bit of a ''rocking'' routine. I recall it did this after the initial start-up of the unit as well.

I'm wondering if this is normal. Also wondering if a manual reset is going to be necessary after every power outage. The location of the units is prone to very frequent outages. Nature of the beast.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Darrell

A-1 Tech :

Hello, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you today

A-1 Tech :

Without a model number, I can't look up this unit. But that's okay as we will be talking about the motor.

Customer:

Hello. I have a model number. It's just ridiculously long.

A-1 Tech :

From your description, this is a ECM motor. This rocking before starting is quite normal. With that being said, how long does it rock?

Customer:

BCHC018B2G0A2001J2050

Customer:

sorry...there are a few more digits there.

Customer:

BCHC018B2G0A2001J2050ACB01 ( this is followed by 15 zeros)

A-1 Tech :

Can you tell me how long it rocks before it starts?

Customer:

Well, the last time it started up, it was a few minutes at least. I walked someone through the reset process, but don't know enough about these units to be confident in the startup process.

Customer:

It was more than 2 minutes I'd say. But not more than 5 minutes.

A-1 Tech :

Please allow me a little time to locate information on this unit and I will be back.

Customer:

If this is normal, then that's fine. I guess I'm wondering about the manual reset, and if this is likely to be an issue with any power outages in the future.

Customer:

Okay. Thanks.

A-1 Tech :

It could be a problem as there are a lot of electronics involved . You may want to install a surge protector on the units.

A-1 Tech :

I can give you information on these motors if you would like.

Customer:

I would appreciate that.

A-1 Tech :

Please give me a few minutes.

Customer:

No problem

A-1 Tech :

I will post a link for you to download information. This will be on mediafire.com. You do not have to be a member to get this information.

Customer:

Okay. Thank you.

Customer:

Any idea if the manual reset trip is 'normal' on power loss?

A-1 Tech :

You may need to copy this link and paste in address bar at top of page. It would be best if you open a new browser for this.

A-1 Tech :

http://www.mediafire.com/folder/1xbd9bqjqm3ub1a,i50rruvhcbw95y1/shared

A-1 Tech :

You may also highlight, right click and then select open in new window

Customer:

It's good. The link opened fine in a new window. Thanks

A-1 Tech :

Some of these motors require a special meter to test them. You will be able to identify which motor you have.

A-1 Tech :

The end bell of these motors have electronics in them, this is normally what goes bad, not the motor itself.

Customer:

Okay. That's good to know. So, some rocking on initial start-up is normal with ECM motors.

A-1 Tech :

Yes it is. This is a single phase motor. They use the electronics to make it act like a variable speed 3 phase motor.

Customer:

Okay. This is all helpful. Thank you. Any idea about the manual reset. Is it normal for it to drop out on power loss?

A-1 Tech :

It was probably the power surge, yes it could drop out

Customer:

Okay.

Customer:

I think you've answered my questions.

A-1 Tech :

I think you will find those downloads very helpful. If I can assist you further, please let me know. A positive rating of my service is appreciated.

Customer:

You bet. I appreciate the resources. Good to be informed on these things. Thanks for time. Cheers

A-1 Tech :

Thank you,......Ron

If this information will help, the motor you have is a: ECM 2.3
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thank you. Ironically...I think the issue may be electrical in nature (distribution). The transmission in this area is diesel powered. As strange as it sounds...the line voltage dropped since my last visit. The units were sitting at 191 V. Heater elements were drawing too much and tripping the thermal overload. Fortunately...each is fed with an autrtransformer. I was able to swap leads and boost the voltage upto 205 V. I'm concerned about the main distribution now.

Thanks for the additional info!
Great, at least you have it figured out. Save the motor info, it may be quite handy in the future. These variable speed motors are becoming more popular. They work great for humidity control if ever that is a problem.

Note: No need to reply unless further information is needed.