HVAC

Have HVAC Questions? Ask an HVAC Expert for Answers

HVAC

I have an OLD round Honeywell thermostat for a gas floor furnace.

"TS832A-1011" appears to be the...
I have an OLD round Honeywell thermostat for a gas floor furnace. "TS832A-1011" appears to be the model number. I can't tell if it's on or off because the labels have worn off. There's only 1 switch and it's on the right side & only has 2 settings-up and down (which I assume are on & off). There is the temperature adjuster, and also a "set back timer", which I have no idea how to work. I've tried moving it to the highest temperature setting on each of the on/off settings, but the heater doesn't seem to be warming up on either one. I'm not sure if it's a thermostat problem, a furnace problem or an operator error. Help for my Honeywell, PLEASE?!?!?!
11/14/2013
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll do my best to help. Troubleshooting often requires meters and test equipment. Let's get started and see what we can do.To verify if issue is in thermostat, remove the wires from floor furnace and touch the wires together. If it come son, thermostat is the problem.If not floor furnace is issue. Is pilot lit on the floor furnace?

Yes, the pilot light is lit on the furnace. I'm just not sure which position is on and which is off on the Honeywell Thermostat. Both the furnace and the thermostat are from the 1950's. I'm not sure what wires you are talking about on the furnace....

Thermostat should have 2 wires attached, remove from thermostat and touch the wires together floor furnace should come on

And if it does, it means that the thermostat should be changed? if it doesn't come on, the problem is with the furnace? Just want to make sure I understand

That is correct
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
airheatman
airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician