BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

I have an older coil fired efm coal stoker boiler. I dont

I have an older coil fired efm coal stoker boiler. I don't know the model number but the plate says it was built in 1979. I bought it used and have always had a problem with it blowing fumes out of the feed tube. Do you have any ideas what the solution to that problem is. I turn the air down to less than the chart says and it still does it.

are you saying you are getting some back draft out the coal supply conveyor?

Billy

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thats right

Are you using a barometric damper in exhaust?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

yes, I fixed the problem by sealing off the coal bin. I was told that, how other people have solved it. Doesn't seem like a very good solution.

is the barometric damper properly weighted? Does it open a bit or fully when running?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It doesn't open at all when running normally. I believe I have plenty of draft though.

Thank you.

When I have seen this happen it was due to barometric draft issues OR...the chimney/vent pipe was not sized large enough.

You can seal the coal area although it is a bandaid and not a fix.

The end result is we have "X" amount of exhaust and only "Y" amount of vent pipe/chimney.

We also need makeup air for the unit piped to the mechanical room to replace what air is being vented.

It has always been an issue of insufficient venting or insufficient make up air.

Billy