Matthew
Matthew, HVAC Technician
Experience:  14 years experience in the HVAC field of service, installation, Manual J & D calculations
6927568

I installed a new control board for my trane xe 80 and i get

I installed a new control board for my trane xe 80 and i get 5 flashing lights on the led. furnace turns on but doesnt light

Matthew :

Hello, My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you today.

Matthew :

Was the board you installed a white rodgers 50A55-843 board?

Customer:

yes it was

Matthew :

in the box there is a supplied jumper wire that you have to insert into the 12 pin plug of the furnace

Matthew :

From R01 to R02 terminals

Matthew :

If not there the furnace thinks there is an open roll out limit and will give you that 5 flash code.

Customer:

which one is the jumper wire?

Matthew :

I believe it's a small 2-3" white wire that has metal ends. These ends are made to snap into the holes of the 12 pin plug in the furnace that plugs into the 843 board. If you look on the top of the 843 board it has a diagram showing you the names of the terminals of the 12 pin plug.

Matthew :

find R01 and R02 on that diagram and then put the jumper in the corresponding holes of the male 12 pin plug

Matthew :

it is a black wire sorry

Customer:

i take i they go in the back end of the plug

Matthew :

R02 is a back middle slot with a flat side

Matthew :

The R01 is up 2 spaces form that in the middle

Matthew :

yes, it just slides right in and locks. If you notice on your plug those slots are empty atm

Customer:

okay. just did that. turned on heat. blowing but no flame ignition

Matthew :

Did the igniter glow?

Customer:

flame just came on! sweet. no led lights flashing. do you think im good?

Matthew :

yeah you should be.

Customer:

awesome. thank you so much!

Matthew :

Common overlook with those boards on trane furnaces. There is a small sentence about it in the directions people miss.

Matthew :

no problem at all. Glad I could help

Customer:

I'll take credit with the wife. we'll keep this $38 charge our secret. ;)

Matthew :

Deal :)

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Still having problems with the heater. It worked for a little bit and had problems shutting off today. I replaced the flame sensor and that did nothing. The guy at the part store told me to check the tube behind the pressure switch and make sure its clear. I did that and the heat worked all day. Now it doesn't. After several cycles, the LED indicates a lockout. thoughts?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
only worked for a limited time
The lockout is reset by resetting power to the furnace. Lockout occurs when the gas valve fails to open, flame is not sensed properly, or the igniter never glows to ignite the system. All other fualts have their own special blink code such as high limit, pressure switch failure, or roll out switches.